• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you own a Root Revolver?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Arroyo

Greybeard
Reaction score
yep I did it. I bought one of the replica Colt-Root pocket revolver. Beautiful little pistol. Brand new, loaded with packing grease. So I want to clean it before fireing...

Of course the owners manual was a load of horse manure. So I grabbed a book off the shelf, and read the directions for disassembly. The chapter basically starts with the instruction of "DON'T"

So if you own one of these beauties, how do you clean it?
::

I dont own one Doc but shure am curious to hear your report after ya play with it fer a while.....they shure are kinda differnt...aint they?. Purty is ...as Purty does,,,
keep us up dated..

*** WV SCROUNGER ***

Hey there Doc!

Likewise, I do NOT have one of these... I have been wanting one, but too many other things keep getting in the queue ahead of it. SOMEDAY I WILL get one of these though, as they are very curious unusual pieces of Colt (and revolver) history, and I'm interested in the performance of it.

Sorry... I can't help you about the cleaning process--UNLESS you are just referring to removing all the packing grease?. Kerosene will break up the grease pretty well or Hoppe's #9 or any strong solvent (WD-40 will work). Low odor mineral spirits, or fast evaporating solvents should work also. Just test it on an inconspicuous(sp?) area to see IF the blueing is affected by it, BEFORE you really douse it with solvent

But, I still can NOT tell you know how to break down the gun into sub-assemblies, to make cleaning easier.

BTW, Where did you get your revolver and how much if I'm not being too nosy? Only place I've seen them advertised is DGW.

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

The following is from the book FIREARMS ASSEMBLY II / copyright 1972, National Rifle Association:

Hopefully it is legible enough for you to read some of it.

ROOT1.jpg

ROOT2.jpg

Thanks Zonie-
That be the book that I opened! :) First line -
Disassembly of the Colt Root Should not be attempted...

I read enough to remove the arbor pin retaining latch screw , then depressing the arbor pin retaining latch I was able to pull the cylinder arbor out of the back of the frame. Then the cylinder can be removed from the frame. I cleaned the packing grease off of the parts and gave them a light coat of oil.

Then the fun part...reinstallation. The arbor has a key that matches up with the intalls of the cylinder, and if you install it wrong, the pistol is 180 degrees out of time! Try, try again, until you get ti aligned right! ::

I think that the next step is to remove the grip and use some brake cleaner. I think that complete disassembly just ain't in the cards for this beauty. Light oil and a bit of care will keep it shooting as much as this one will be shot.

I got it for a display gun at gold rush reinactments, and it will do that job well! I picked up on a on line auction, so I can't complain about the price.

When it gets a range test I will give an update! :peace:

I'm guessing that there isn't a lot of grease inside the action of the gun (but I might be wrong).

As I recall, the Colt Root was not very popular in it's day because of the small caliber (.31 & .28) and because it had a reputation for breaking easily. (Yes, I really am 150 years old :: .)

With disassembly being not recommended, and the general pain in the butt that you have already seen with the cylinder arbor I can see the other reason for it's lack of favor.
Having to frinkle with that every time you shoot and clean it could drive a man to drink (more).

Too bad too. This is a neat little gun, but like a lot of neat things (like the Austin Healey 1000 and the Morgan ) they aren't very practical to use. :cry:

I thought I saw an illustration breakdown picture of the Root revolver in your reply...? What happened to it???

WV_Hillbilly

You mean this? It's still there when I looked at the post.
ROOT1.jpg

If Photobucket has a glitch or is off line their pictures won't appear. Maybe that was the problem??

Back