• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Grease in Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grease will allow you to drive the wedge in further, tighter. Being it reduces friction it may also allow it to loosen up quicker. Not sure how that might work out. I generally only shoot 3, maybe 4 cylinders a session and the wedge has never been an issue for me.
Yeah, I don't know how it would work out either but I'm curious enough to want to find out.

I oil BP revolvers just like I do a cartridge revolver. I've never taken a bp revolver apart other than removing the cylinder. No problems have ever arisen. However I do submerge them in a bucket or sink full of hot soapy water and clean those internal areas I can reach with pipe cleaners. Rinse with hot water at full force from the spicket. Dry with hair dryer until gun is too hot to touch. When cool and dry I oil like I would any revolver. I've been told the gun will fail due to rust. I've never used grease. I've been told the gun will eventually fail due to rust; still waiting to see any problem. Takes about 10-15 minutes to clean.

I oil BP revolvers just like I do a cartridge revolver. I've never taken a bp revolver apart other than removing the cylinder. No problems have ever arisen. However I do submerge them in a bucket or sink full of hot soapy water and clean those internal areas I can reach with pipe cleaners. Rinse with hot water at full force from the spicket. Dry with hair dryer until gun is too hot to touch. When cool and dry I oil like I would any revolver. I've been told the gun will fail due to rust. I've never used grease. I've been told the gun will eventually fail due to rust; still waiting to see any problem. Takes about 10-15 minutes to clean.
Well than you can expect faster wear on parts that need heavier lubrication than gun oil can provide irrespective of corrosion issues.
Would you oil the ball joints on your car or lube the wheel bearing with 10-w-40 ? You could but would shorten their life substantially.............. same deal with high stress gun parts.

I'll always either grease or tear down cause I see what gets inside these guns but to your point I have an unmentionable revolver that is over 60 years old and aside from cylinder removal the gun can not be taken apart without getting into big trouble so for all those years I just oiled the internals. Seems fine and shoots good but that is smokeless.

I do the same thing, pretty much the same. I try to avoid heavy gun grease, it just ends up turning into a paste.

Well than you can expect faster wear on parts that need heavier lubrication than gun oil can provide irrespective of corrosion issues.
Would you oil the ball joints on your car or lube the wheel bearing with 10-w-40 ? You could but would shorten their life substantially.............. same deal with high stress gun parts.
We gonna do what works and opinions vary. Happy shooting!

That's just it, using oil where grease is designated /required doesn't actually work as needed and will shorten parts life. That is fact not opinion but the gun is yours so do as you please but now you know the truth.
We gonna do what works and opinions vary. Happy shooting!

As a former totally dedicated "rip and strip" guy after every outing...with every gun...I've found the synthetic Mobil 1 grease Mike uses works very well, and as mentioned, only needs clean-out and replacing maybe once a year...at your leisure, and not the same day you shoot the gun. Saves a ton of time cleaning and I don't worry about the internals rusting any more.

Mike at 45D introduced this old timer to action packing :thumb:

Not all shooters have gunsmithing grade screwdrivers that are necessary to reduce damage to soft screws found on many replica revolvers.
Complete disassembly after every shooting session increases chance of buggering up screw heads.
As a long time collector & competitor I've had no reason to completely disassemble my original & replica revolvers since I started packing the actions with Mobile 1 & love the smoother actions !
Goes to show we're never too old to learn, thanks 45D !!

That's just it, using oil where grease is designated /required doesn't actually work as needed and will shorten parts life. That is fact not opinion but the gun is yours so do as you please but now you know the truth.
Your facts and mine are worlds apart, but thanks for the input and permission to do as I've done for 40 years.

Mike at 45D introduced this old timer to action packing :thumb:

Not all shooters have gunsmithing grade screwdrivers that are necessary to reduce damage to soft screws found on many replica revolvers.
Complete disassembly after every shooting session increases chance of buggering up screw heads.
As a long time collector & competitor I've had no reason to completely disassemble my original & replica revolvers since I started packing the actions with Mobile 1 & love the smoother actions !
Goes to show we're never too old to learn, thanks 45D !!
I’m with you on this one. It lets us to be able to enjoy using the great old soot belchers more often without complicated the complicated cleaning looming over our heads.

Back