• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you shoot old "Originals"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silver Inlaid Japanese Tanegashima Matchlock Arquebus. Made somewhere between 1543 and 1850. Samurai. Silver dragon inlaid with smoke. 41" Octagon Barrel. .52 caliber

Matchlock. Getting ready to try it out. Drying some homemade match cord.
Tanegashima arquebuses, named after the island on which they were introduced by shipwrecked Portuguese explorers in the mid-16th century, were used into the late 19th century, long after matchlock firearms had been replaced by flintlock and percussion arms by Europeans and other western countries. The barrel has a block front sight, a pair of silver inlaid dragons, and a traditional grooved block rear sight. The stock features a mix of brass and silver accents with engraved floral, rabbit, and smoke designs.

Tanegashima arquebuses, named after the island on which they were introduced by shipwrecked Portuguese explorers in the mid-16th century, were used into the late 19th century, long after matchlock firearms had been replaced by flintlock and percussion arms by Europeans and other western countries. The barrel has a block front sight, a pair of silver inlaid dragons, and a traditional grooved block rear sight. The stock features a mix of brass and silver accents with engraved floral, rabbit, and smoke designs.
I don't think the Portugues where shipwrecked but did flick off a damaged Venetian snap matchlock probably traded it for a geisha girl . & chuckled all the way back to Portugal. Your gun looks great Rudyard's take

Do you regularly shoot old original guns? 1700s? 1800s?
I was updating my list of guns over 100 years old just the other day, and I can't post pics here because none of them are muzzleloaders, but yes, I do shoot them. My oldest original is a Springfield 1873 Trapdoor Carbine made in 1877, and I'm reloading 45-70 cartridges with black powder and lead bullets to shoot in it.

Silver Inlaid Japanese Tanegashima Matchlock Arquebus. Made somewhere between 1543 and 1850. Samurai. Silver dragon inlaid with smoke. 41" Octagon Barrel. .52 caliber

Matchlock. Getting ready to try it out. Drying some homemade match cord.
You're going to look good in a kimono when you take it out to shoot it Bill!

The amount of speculation about your gun is interesting but not fully understood . Yes its an E I Coy 'Windus pattern' musket the term" third model 'is just a US notion " There is nothing' Ordnance' about that hammer & it is a mystery who put it to percussion perhaps some commercial order .lots being sold off to any one such as the New Zealand Company who bought lots of surplus muskets ( An Estimate of over three million of that pattern being made during the Napoleonic wars if not for just Ordnance & The E I Co) losses & wastage & supplying powers who also apposed Napoleon .such a Some Spanish & Portugues troops probably a breakdown Twix Ordnance ,Trade , (For Volunteers ect ) & the E I Coy who where a Commercial Army in effect . Some where bought from the E I Coy by Ordnance & can be found with a surcharge mark . The Company worked in with Ordnance to a degree but that basic shorter 39" barrel stemmed from the Company.s" Lawrences pattern" &" Coote's Pattern" then" Windus's pattern ' this last being adopted as a war time simplification .of supply .Your musket looks absolutely correct a 'sleeper' but the barrel & conversion are not Ordnance or Company as far as ime aware & going by the cock Ide guess continental work (Europe) trust that helps.

Regards
Rudyard
Thank you very much for the info 👍

Back