• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you shoot old "Originals"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kia Ora everyone.
Here's my (Hay patern) Enfield.
Bronze furniture on this fella.
Very solid rifle.
Really enjoying everyone's posts on this thread.
Lovely guns out there.
Nga mihi

Attachments

• 20230107_133324.jpg
    20230107_133324.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230107_132924.jpg
    20230107_132924.jpg
    763 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230107_133039.jpg
    20230107_133039.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230107_133249.jpg
    20230107_133249.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230107_132903.jpg
    20230107_132903.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230107_133138.jpg
    20230107_133138.jpg
    794.7 KB · Views: 0
REF: Post #58. Hi Pukka.

That looks like a real nice Adams revolver. Have you ever tried shooting it ? Yes, the holster looks great. Nice match.

Great job restoring that English fowler. You can be proud of that one.

As you know, that Torador matchlock is one of my favorite guns of yours. Glad you were able to fire yours with the the barrel without alterations.

My Torador has a Hoyt liner. LOL

Rick

003 (Medium).JPG
005 (Medium).JPG
006 (Medium).JPG

Yes,
Double flint C 1815, 19 bore.View attachment 283531
W'm Bailes turn off 22 bore and a Smith 17 bore pistol,
(1740's and 1820's respectively)View attachment 283532
View attachment 283533
One of the Bailes and Smith as they came...
View attachment 283534

Prichard, 1840's, etc.View attachment 283536

Note that two of the pistols were converted to percussion.
An owner thought enough about them to have them updated to percussion, so to my mind should not be converted back.
To do so takes away a great part of their history.

Best,
R.
I agree putting converted guns done so in their life is wrong and akin to vandalism .Some crude conversion might be considered but the gun in question is properly done and aught not to be ruined as so many botched efforts have wrought unspeakable ruin .Ive a double ex flint by Wm Parker Then put to cap by the makers .Then because the owner wanted' a flinter ' got Bubbed up, Read 'Buggered up' by some garage mechanic, Little 24 bore comes up like a wand well and truly stuffed. Shame full. Rudyard's view

REF: Post #58. Hi Pukka.

That looks like a real nice Adams revolver. Have you ever tried shooting it ? Yes, the holster looks great. Nice match.

Great job restoring that English fowler. You can be proud of that one.

As you know, that Torador matchlock is one of my favorite guns of yours. Glad you were able to fire yours with the the barrel without alterations.

My Torador has a Hoyt liner. LOL

Rick

View attachment 284419View attachment 284420View attachment 284421I think? Mr Puka has a VERY nice Tranter? Looking similar to Adam's?

Rick,

Yes, the revolver is a Tranter-Adams- Kerr, and has been fired a lot!
It needs some work I have been putting off, as it has a huge cylinder /forcing cone gap!
It is very accurate though, but needs heavy charges to ensure the ball don't get left in the barrel!

Even granddaughters can fire it very well, making nice small groups.

I have a British 1850 double 15-bore, and have just added a French "Stalking gun". Left barrel is 16-bore, right is .35 cal rifled barrel. Both are rather nicely engraved, with beautiful wood.

The plan is to use both, but not at the same time, of course. Percussion ML's. I figure the stalking gun will be great for squirrels, rabbits, grouse and the like. And of course, the double 15-bore can be used on most North American game, excluding bears and buffalo.

Just have to remember which accent I want to use on which days!

Great post Marplot on shooting originals !!
Very pleased that we met through this great forum & you've become the new caretaker of this unique Swiss Jaeger.
Nice to see so many forum members step forward who also enjoy the thrill of actually shooting historical firearms ,
a sport that has brought all of us together.
Photo of some original handguns I still shoot;

Due to health issues can no longer shoot my long guns so will be selling my all time favorite .70 cal. Danish Jaeger before long.
This rifles superb accuracy made it my number one competition & big game rifle for over 45 years.
The well preserved circa 1840 waterproofed canvas & leather trimmed hunting bag still has a leather capper & small game hangers.
those are very nice

.577cal 1858 Pritchett Volunteer Short Rifle, made by Robert Taylor Pritchett -

View attachment 283845

Eight shots at 50m offhand - 585gr smooth-sided bullet with knurling over 70gr of 2Fg - quite lively.....

View attachment 283846

View attachment 283847

Problem is, over here in UK, although anybody can buy an original, it's a whole new ballgame if you want to shoot it. This old beauty has to be classed in exactly the same way as any modern cartridge-firing firearm. It has to be locked away, just like any other modern firearm.
Kia Ora Mr Foley.
Wow that's 1 beautiful rifle.
I was wondering if you have that mold? & if you paper patch it?
I have a mold 577 no groves made of bronze it is joined by the association of my ownership of my Hay Enfield.
a NZ war tounga .
I have used it with several Enfields and it goes good if consitnt with paper patch and wad .
That a lovely volunteer... I've never seen one .
Keep warm up there. When it's 32 degrees Celsius here it must be getting pretty chilly up north.
Kind regards
Nga mihi
Chris
Happy New Year by the way :)

Kia Ora Mr Foley.
Wow that's 1 beautiful rifle.
I was wondering if you have that mold? & if you paper patch it?
I have a mold 577 no groves made of bronze it is joined by the association of my ownership of my Hay Enfield.
a NZ war tounga .
I have used it with several Enfields and it goes good if consitnt with paper patch and wad .
That a lovely volunteer... I've never seen one .
Keep warm up there. When it's 32 degrees Celsius here it must be getting pretty chilly up north.
Kind regards
Nga mihi
Chris
Happy New Year by the way :)

Kia ora, Chris! 3.5C here right now........... I don't have the correct mould for that almost-a-Pritchett bullet - they are made at a very good price by a skilled bullet maker oop north who produces many obsolete and hard-to-find calibres, including three sizes of FMJs for Lee-Enfields!

However, one of my collection of Lyman moulds throws a .578" Minié that is a perfect fit, and easier on the poor old aching shoulder, too. :)

HNY to you and all the Chris'es!

Kia ora, Chris! 3.5C here right now........... I don't have the correct mould for that almost-a-Pritchett bullet - they are made at a very good price by a skilled bullet maker oop north who produces many obsolete and hard-to-find calibres, including three sizes of FMJs for Lee-Enfields!

However, one of my collection of Lyman moulds throws a .578" Minié that is a perfect fit, and easier on the poor old aching shoulder, too. :)

HNY to you and all the Chris'es!
Morena Mr Foley. Here's the Mold.
I Think? A Pritchett mold.
Makes a real good paper patch .577 :)
Ma Te Wa
Chris

Attachments

• 20240113_100136.jpg
    20240113_100136.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240113_100232.jpg
    20240113_100232.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
My 2 favorite shooting originals are an 1860-1885 Jacob Harder Upper Susquehanna rifle, .50 caliber rebored from a .45 by Bobby Hoyt and my 1814-1818 Henry Nock 16 ga English Sporting shotgun. Photos to follow

Thanks,
O.R.
Photo's

Attachments

• IMG_6047.jpg
    IMG_6047.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6043.jpg
    IMG_6043.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6043a.jpg
    IMG_6043a.jpg