• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Do you think that modern ML firearms have any investment value?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMO investing in any type of firearm is a bit of a manure shoot. Of course classic and unobtainium "traditional" (and original BP) firearms are worth many times more than what they originally sold for and even more than what they sold for only several years ago. That goes without saying, that is if you follow such things.

That said, do you think that modern replica BP firearms are worth owning for a future return on your investment.

I'll keep my opinion to myself for the moment, I want to hear what you all think.

They may be worth more in the future but that is only because the dollar is worth less. If you use the inflation calculator on modern prices, you will see this.

in 1975 I could buy a new TC Renegade on sale at Ron Shirks Shooter Supply for $90, I ran this price through the inflation calculator and came up with a today's price of $527 or about what a new in the box one would cost today, the inflation rate between 1975 and today is $486%.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Any well made quality firearm will, in most cases, keep up with inflation with some appreciating in value a little more, but "investing" in a firearm is a Fool's Errand, IMHO. What ones will be the "hot" item or considered "rare" in the future is uncertain & subject to the whims of unknowledgeable people. Making money off of firearms is best done by "speculating" in the short term & avoiding any emotional attachments. High returns on collectable firearms generally occur over several generations & are hardly ever realized by the original buyer. Just my two cents!

IMO investing in any type of firearm is a bit of a manure shoot. Of course classic and unobtainium "traditional" (and original BP) firearms are worth many times more than what they originally sold for and even more than what they sold for only several years ago. That goes without saying, that is if you follow such things.

That said, do you think that modern replica BP firearms are worth owning for a future return on your investment.

I'll keep my opinion to myself for the moment, I want to hear what you all think.
Depends. Time always tells. Example; the Roger & Spencers, no longer made I don't think (?), are highly desirable. Look what happened with the Ruger Old Army's! But often decades will be needed to realize a "gain". I still wish I had gone after a minty repro Spencer .56-50 full length rifle at auction about 10 years ago; to buy one new now would cost thousands, well, over two grand anyway. The limited edition Uberti pistol sets, Geo. Washington, Hamilton-Burr duel, really have held up.

Last edited:
Junk today is junk tomorrow. "Projects" - missing parts, things messed up by Bubba, and low quality anything are not generally good ...unless you're going to sell for parts. In that case, once an item is out of production, there is money to be made if you are willing to invest the time and aggravation to market individual items.

Mint, unfired, quality repo's have always been in demand. Non-authentic "sorta like" stuff unless it has a following, can sometimes be sold to a few who just want to fool with muzzleloaders (brass frame revolvers that were never made as originals, oddball creations using modern non-authentic parts, etc.) in my decades of such things aren't going to make money for me. Nor are they to my friends.

When a bargain shows up, I'll buy. No more junk for this old guy.

Like others have said. But anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I have some older unfired unmentionables that by someone else's standards are worth quite a bit. But they are family guns, to be passed down the line. But for a portfolio, I'd say no.

There is a great example of this in the classifieds right now. An unfired Lyman Deerstalker with the 57MLS peep sights and original box.

It’s a great, desirable deer gun that was discontinued, and the factory peep sights on it are also discontinued and in high demand.

To me this is close to, or at the best case scenario for a modern, mass produced ML. At $625 shipped, the seller will pocket around $575. Depending on how long ago he purchased the gun, he is is probably selling it for $100 to $200 more than he paid for it.

Not a money loser, but also not close to investment return territory.

Modern guns from certain custom shops may be a different story, but your going to pay top dollar right now to even get in to that market.

The political climate plays a part. Interest in muzzleloading climbed as modern unmentionable reloading supplies got scarce. I think some want a primitive firearm to fall back on if the worst happens.

It probably matters if we're talking mass production guns (TC, CVA, traditions, etc) semi-custom kits (like Kibler, pecatonica, rifle shoppe) or scratch-build custom guns, and custom guns that are bench copies of originals. The further up that ladder, the more likely the gun will retain value, of course depending on care and condition. And some contemporary custom builders are more regarded than others, same as some original makers (a Schroyer is likely more valuable than his apprentice Fry -condition of gun and all else equal).

The only guns that have seen exceptional growth in value are the class III stuff that could be bought relatively low 60 years ago and now...just crazy what they sell for.

I personally expect most guns to stay even with inflation. If cared for, none should lose value but neither do I consider them an investment.

The only guns that ever become investments are those that survive and remain in exceptional condition over time. That Winchester rifle that sold for $20 some 100 years ago may be worth a couple of thousand today, but so would that $20.

Today's Kiblers will be no different.

Back