• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does anybody shoot a Baker?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary James did a very good article on shooting the Baker Rifle...think it was G&A but I don't remember for sure. I've always thought that the Baker was a very neat rifle.

You did meant rifle right? Would not be nice to shoot the Baker, the butcher, or the painter. But those telemarketers...!!

:crackup:

Rat

Ever since reading and watching the Sharpe series, I have wanted to shoot a Baker rifle.

If your going to buy a Baker, make it a rifled barrel one and make sure its got a really good lock or you'll cuss forever.

I have one from military heritage that has a new barrel. Proper rifling. The Indian workmanship is a little rough and the brazing of the old bits onto the new barrel is rough too...... BUT is it ever fun to shoot. Anybody pre patch bullets?

Thanks.

I have looked up equipment for british riflemen during the baker rifles hey day, but i never saw anything about prepatching the balls for it.
They carried loose powder and ball for "most accuracy at long range", while using normal style paper cartridges for rapid fire.

Or you can get a real one from.Atlanta Cutlery at www[url] atlantacutlery.com[/url] for 995.00 with the sword bayonet youll want a barrel, and it isnt flint(p 1837 mod) anyone got MSV web site ? :front:

Last edited by a moderator:
if you belive the books..... ball wrapped in leather coarse powder for fast fire , fine powder for sharp shooting (those Frenchie Generals ect off the horse) ..dont know about that fast fireing by not ramming it home but just slamming the butt on the ground hard and hope it seats , :front:Ok if your about to get 17 to 20 something inches of steel in your gut.

Far as I can make out you start with a lubed patch and a washer of a dia that the ball and patch can pass through. That centralises the bullet/patch. This is then pushed through into a short piece of plastic tube same dia as the barrel. The tube holds the ball and patch until loading when the tube is held over the barrel and a short starter used to push ball and patch into the barrel.

I recall seeing a photo of a leather wrapped ball. Whatever the glue was (probably hide glue), the mice loved it. They also carried cartridges but those were to be used only in an emergency.

I shoot a Baker that I built from Rifle Shoppe parts. I've also hunted with it, shoots great and very handy in the woods. I also built and shoot a 1776 British contract rifle,which is even better in the woods,shorter barrel and captured ramrod. Both shoot very well, and I would highly recommend either one.

pyrate - is your twist 1:120 or is it faster? What size ball & how much powder?

The twist is actually quite a bit faster than the original. it's 1 in 66. I shoot a .600 rb, ticking patch over 55gr. of 3f. For match shooting or general plinking, this load works great, I crank it up to 80gr. for hunting.

You did meant rifle right? Would not be nice to shoot the Baker, the butcher, or the painter. But those telemarketers...!!

:crackup:

Rat

He's next...
rubdubdub.gif

Just kidding, I hear that the baker rifle is a very strong gun and fun to shoot...

Back