• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dont know what i just bought, we’ll see

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I figured if all else fails i could use the brass parts to make up that Charleville navy-marine type ive been wanting. We shall see when i get it in my hands anyway.

It seems to be a copy of a Spanish musket to me but I'm not too knowledgeable in that area. I do know that there was an Indian made copy of a Spanish musket on the market a while back but haven't seen it offered lately. The Spanish guns were influenced by the French muskets so it's possible some of the parts might be adaptable to your project.

If so, the frizzen (grooved in the Spanish) and ramrod have been changed. Close, though.
W/out any shot of the bore, it ooks like it has promise.

That theres my first flinty boys!

Its going to be fun cleaning it up and making it shine like new again. Getting the black fingers from scrubbing and all.

And the US got about 12,000 Spanish muskets for the war so its somewhat “correct” for the Rev War too. Probably not the F&I war but close. Of course, if i have to change a few things it becomes a “committee of safety” musket lol.

Should i open it or deepen it, or see how it works first? Needs smoothing im sure for ease of cleaning.

By all means, do the smoothing. Not only the surface of the pan but all the internal mating surfaces of the lock and trigger. You may not see much of a benefit but removing any tiny traps for fouling to collect moisture from the air has to be good for subsequent shots. Then see how the musket shoots.

I'm not at all familiar with these type muskets but the others do seem to know what they're talking about. It looks pretty good in the photo so I'd give it a chance before any cannibalization is done. Just me but I'd polish it and see how it shoots before doing any alterations; you might be pleasantly surprised.

Yes i intend to do just that. Put some elbow grease into it and have it shinning like a new penny, im looking forward to it. Ideally it will be a shooter as-is after a little love. Just have to see what we end up with.

"a punjab pipe bomb"

What do you think?
Kind of ignorant actually as the ones that have had problems were from operator error. That also happens with other kinds of guns, even them made right here in the US of A when poorly maintained -- something the modern Billy Bob is getting good at. That and snarky comments.

Well i will be sure and not over charge it or use smokless or any other Billy Bob things that could hurt it. I also wont make any snarky comments at it.
Thanks

Yes i intend to do just that. Put some elbow grease into it and have it shinning like a new penny, im looking forward to it. Ideally it will be a shooter as-is after a little love. Just have to see what we end up with.

Be careful. Some of the "Spanish" muskets produced in Europe were French Charlevilles with a different pan, hammer, and brass plated steel barrel bands. Too much EG might cause problems.

LD

Oh good to know Dave thank you. Just from pics the brass doesnt seem all that bad but i will keep that in mind.

By golly i think you are right. Middlesex has a write up here and pics. Looks about the same.

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/MS1757.SHTML
Stopped by that place one day and spoke to the guy and basically from my understanding (about the "howdah pistol anyways) is that the parts come from india and he assembles them. Not saying the quality is absolute garbage as I didnt hold one but that is my understanding .....I could be wrong.

And its Indian...
7AFEF5A5-3444-4551-88E2-229D13F38859.jpeg

Back