• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dont ya just hate when....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

contenderfan

36 Cal.
Reaction score
You got a really nice group goin...then ya go and blow it with a couple of well placed fliers?
:shake: :barf:
First three shots right into center and next two pulled them both off to the right, knew as soon as I touched it off on both shots that I had pulled them. :doh:

.50 T/C Hawken
80 Gr. fff Goex
.490 Hornady RB
.015 Drill cloth (compresses to .008)
6:1 Ballistol/water lube
5 shots @ 50 yds.

The bore on this rifle is just a touch on the rough side...going to try some 4:1 mix ratio on the lube as the 6:1 seemed too dry for this particular barrel. Was having some problems early in the session with fouling so hoping the richer mix will help keep the fouling softer. Other than that I believe I've got the charge and patch thickness pegged.

TC50Hawken002.jpg

Ya it sure does wreck a picture,,
I wish I could shoot as good as my gun does!

p.s. If yer usin Dutch ya aughta be swabbin, :wink:

necchi said:
Ya it sure does wreck a picture,,
I wish I could shoot as good as my gun does!

p.s. If yer usin Dutch ya aughta be swabbin, :wink:

I am, and I was. I was hoping to get back out today and try some different mix ratios with the lube but I didnt get the chance. Will have to wait until next weekend.

Cato said:
Offhand or Benched?

Benched...Im still in the load development stage with this rifle...tweakin the lube amount and seeing what works best. I have the patching and powder charge pegged. Actually this is the only rifle Ive personally ever shot that shoots two different powder charges identically as far as accuracy goes. 70 or 80 grains of fff Goex will put 5 shots into an inch with this rifle, the only difference being that the 80 gr charge hits higher of course. I dont think a deer will notice much difference between 70 and 80 grs....still be just as dead. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a pretty sweet shootin riflegun ya got there. Is that a T/C barrel, or a drop in? :v

Nice group! Remember to keep an eye out for nipple erosion by examining the nipple after every outing. Anybody with a 50 yard group like that probably already knows this, but I wrote this for the Newbies.

Again, a really nice bench group!

Dave

Ancient One said:
My rifles shoot 100% perfect. I just put the targets in the wrong place. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Vern

Thanks for figuring that out for me. I've had the issue for along time. Couldn't see the forest for the smoke.

W

Latest posts

Back