• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double barrel question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom in nc

45 Cal.
Reaction score
It appears that I might have my new (to me) double shootable soon. I have a question that I've never seen asked and answered before. With both barrels loaded and the first one fired, should I use the ramrod and repack the second barrel before firing it. Or depend on the charge and load being tight enough to stay put?

I have a Pedersoli 12ga SxS and I had the same concern when I first got it. The way I checked is I loaded up my standard load then fired one barrel. Then I checked the other unfired barrel by slowly lowering the ramrod back down onto the charge. If it didn't let me reseat it at all, it was still fully seated and ready to fire. I tried this a few times and determined with my standard load that the second barrel is still good to fire after the first without re-ramming.

Oldramrod's advice is good! I would add that the snugness of your overshot card is influential in whether or not you will have an issue. If you follow O's advice you will figure it out pretty quickly. I have a Pedersoli 20 gauge that I was using in dog training. It became apparent that the load in the second barrel was moving some from the recoil in the first (right) barrel. So i started loading 2 overshot cards, which fixed it. Then, I bought 19 gauge overshot cards from TOW, and only need one card to hold the load tight.

If you have a dial caliper it's worth measuring the actual bores instead of counting on the gauge being precise. Different vintages of Pedersoli 12 gauge vary significantly, from .730 to .708 on my caliper.

Thanks. I bought the gun thinking it was a 12 gauge but the numbers stamped into the underside of the barrels, near the breech, evidently indicate it to be about 14-15 gauge. I figured I'd just cut my own wads.

If this was a real issue I would expect a lot more in the historical accounts. Common sense would suggest that the inertia of the load in the second barrel is sufficient to prevent it dislodging under normal conditions of shooting.

No need to re-tamp the second load it will hold just fine. you can get 15 ga wads from TOW I have a 15 and that's where I got mine. however, bear in mind that you're loading over a hot and loaded barrel when you do a reload.

Never checked once....
20210716_170640.jpg

I may however shake the gun up and down and listen for loose shot if I think I noticed something but very rarely and then may not even bother to tamp it back down.

Never checked once....View attachment 234331
I may however shake the gun up and down and listen for loose shot if I think I noticed something but very rarely and then may not even bother to tamp it back down.

But but but.... Britsmoothy, why would anyone listen to your actual real-world experiences when there are so many disastrous events we can imagine and dream up!!!

I hunt all the time with mine I have 5 3 of them are original and 1 CVA 12ga and 1 David Pedoslo 12ga.(1976 vintage) never had a problem with second barrel charge moving. P.S. I suggest trying cards before ordering a lot. I cut my own from US postal boxes that are about 1/16" thick or less. will work in the 12ga. guns and also I have a 13 and a 15 that they work as well. I have measured a lot of the original guns and the bore dia. seems to vary a lot from one gun to another..

With Pedersoli just keep in mind it may be choked with no mark on the barrel. I have what I believe is a Turkey/trap 12 ga. and the chokes are around .675 if I remember right and beyond the choke it measures about a 13 ga.

Back