• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Double Barrel Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cs4268

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Any one out there know who sells a percussion-double barrel shotgun kit? I am recreating an out fit to duplicate one of Terry's Texas Rangers (1862-65) and have found that most men who joined this unit brought their double barrel shotguns and their Colt Navy pistols with them.

Cabela's sells percussion 10Ga, 12Ga and a 20Ga SxS guns. I don't know who makes them. I have a 10Ga Pendersoli SxS that I love. I purchased about 15 years ago through a local gun shop and am getting ready to take it goose hunting on Sept. 1st. :front:

like someone else said, unless you want to build a kit. i have one for sale. 12g dbl barrel percussion. drop me a pm if you are interested.
pieman

Check out a gentleman named :
Richard Smith
1066 Northeast 130 Ave.
Oxford Fl, 34484
(352)748-7373

I just had him build a custom 20 Gauge Double for me. The gun is wonderful.

He will build them in any Gauge for around $2400
They are well worth it.
You can spend at least that much for an original, but you will never be able to shoot heavy charges through them. With this one, you can.

MyDouble2.jpg
MyDouble1.jpg

I put them together on occasion.
borders1.jpg
borders7.jpg

I did this one 7 or eight years ago. I'm working on two more at the moment.

Oh my another one! Come on you guys, what did you do for locks? How about barrels? What ga.? Any details you can share?

Oh my another one! Come on you guys, what did you do for locks? How about barrels? What ga.? Any details you can share?
The locks on this one are the Durrs Egg locks by L&R. The barrels are from an old percussion gun and are damascus. they have been shortened at the breech and the muzzle and are now about 34" long. They are double keyed and the gun they came from must have been intended for "wild fowling" as they are quite massive and 14 ga. The breeches are home made. The gun wieghs about 9 1/2 lbs.
The trigger guard is sand cast and made from old dimes, as is the entry pipe. The trigger plate and triggers are home made. The guard and buttplate are from TOTW. The stock is english walnut. This gun has won many skeet and sporting clays matches at Friendship IN.
I'm working on another at the present time, should be done in a couple weeks.

3c5147c1.jpg
borders10.jpg
borders8.jpg
borders5.jpg
borders4.jpg

Mike, thanks for sharing! The gun looks like it has a pretty fair amount of drop at comb and heel. What is it? What LOP did you use to the front trigger? :thanks:

Check out a gentleman named :
Richard Smith
1066 Northeast 130 Ave.
Oxford Fl, 34484
(352)748-7373

I just had him build a custom 20 Gauge Double for me. The gun is wonderful.

He will build them in any Gauge for around $2400
They are well worth it.
MyDouble1.jpg

:D :D That's just way too cool!

Mike, thanks for sharing! The gun looks like it has a pretty fair amount of drop at comb and heel. What is it? What LOP did you use to the front trigger? :thanks:
It's been a while since I built it, but I think it's probably 2 3/4" at the heel and 1 1/2" at the comb. It has a 14" trigger pull.

Hi Mike

How am I going to persuade you to name your price for a new breech plate for my Egg? It is a very sad puppy, needs love ::

best regards

Squire Robin

I just finished building a 20ga dubble flintlock and hope to use it this season on ruff grouse and
woodcock.will be useing 2 dram of ffg. Idid prof
the gun with 5 drams ffg. it takes time but build your own, best,Bill

i

Not to hijack this thread, but I'll have to post photos and description of the flint 12 gauge double I bought at the 2012 NMLRA Southeastern Rendezvous near Yadkinville, here in NC.

Its unsigned, but has Ed Rayl barrels and L&R waterproof locks, and beautiful English checkered walnut.

The previous owner took it to the CLA Show, and met the gunmaker but failed to record his name. I figured the maker didn't have metal stamps to mark his barrels or didn't have the talent for engraving.

I sometimes wonder if, in his own mind, he was not happy with the way it turned out to have his name on the gun.

I'll get some photos and post on a new thread

Back