• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

DSTs for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flehto said:
Between the "hair trigger", breathing hard and the anxiety of seeing the 6X6 bull elk, I really can't fault him for missing twice....and you shouldn't either....unless you experienced duplicate circumstances.

Mainly I fault the use of a DST.....because I have experienced his situation, but the results were quite the opposite using a simple, single trigger.

I'm confused, as those two statements seem contradictory. You don't fault the "hair trigger" but you fault the DST... Isn't the purpose of the DST to create a hair trigger?

I'll give you the simplicity point, as that is why I have avoided DSTs. In the heat of the moment, I don't need one more step in the process.

As for your friend in the heat of the moment, would another pound or two of trigger pull made the difference?

Personally, I've had lots of similar adrenaline experiences. I think anyone who hunts is usually firing his weapon with heart pumping.

I've also fired a weapon after running, crawling, fighting, jumping out of a helicopter, and being sprayed with OC spray. I haven't always been 100% accurate in those situations, but that is because it is harder to aim, not control the trigger. Never once did I, or anyone around me, let one go early due to lack of trigger discipline.

When I referred to a "hair trigger", it's the same as a DST set for a few ounces of pull.. Just different nomenclature. Not that difficult to understand?

Yes...I do think the difference between a trigger pull measured in lbs is quite different than one measured in ounces....especially if one isn't used to the light trigger pull of a DST....that's one of the reasons I asked him if he wanted me to change the triggers before the hunt.

I've hunted w/ my buddy for many years and he never experienced the problem he did w/ DSTs VS using a simple, single trigger....and he's shot a lot of deer.

To say the least...he learned his lesson and asked me to change the DST to a single, simple trigger and a couple of years later, shot a nice cow elk. Can't beat that.....Fred

I use my DST to sight in the rifle,real light don't know when it is going off,within reason,for sighting in only.Then set the trigger for hunting.Helps to sight in.

I was interested to read the account of your friends problem, Fred. Will all the elk let you take two practice shots? I've often wondered if this old flatlander could take an elk, and I'm encouraged to think I maybe could. :haha: :haha:

BTW, could you just remove the set trigger instead of blocking it? On my triggers it's just pivoted on a removable pin, should be a snap to take it out. No confusion in the heat of battle about which trigger to use if you did that.

Spence

George said:
I was interested to read the account of your friends problem, Fred. Will all the elk let you take two practice shots? I've often wondered if this old flatlander could take an elk, and I'm encouraged to think I maybe could. :haha: :haha:

BTW, could you just remove the set trigger instead of blocking it? On my triggers it's just pivoted on a removable pin, should be a snap to take it out. No confusion in the heat of battle about which trigger to use if you did that.

Spence

T/C used to sell a single trigger replacement for their guns. but instead of makin' a nice trigger with plenty of glove space in the guard like some of the Lyman models, it was basically as you say, they just left out the rear trigger.

After hunting elk in the Rockies for many years since starting in 1985, I've come to the conclusion that elk aren't predictable...but then again, that's the reason hunting them can be an obsession as it was w/ me. Compared to hunting deer in Wisconsin, elk hunting in Montana and mainly in Colorado is a "hit or miss" proposition due to elk being tightly herding animals. Feast or famine.

I've had a cow elk "stay put" after I shot, but my reload wasn't fast enough for a second shot.

We've had no problems leaving the rear or setting trigger in.....we all know which trigger to pull. Not a bad thought, though.

Receiving licenses for the MLing elk season in CO requires preference points and the area we hunted demanded 3 points, so on the off years, I bow and CF hunted and did well w/ the CFs but never got an elk w/ the bow.

Things have changed when MLer elk hunting which usually is in the rut....in the first years, bugling worked well, but then the bulls wouldn't come in, so depended on cow calling....and it still works according to my son.

Just being in a camp in the Rockies at 10,500 ft elevation is an experience not to be forgotten and the encounters w/ elk are all memorable, especially when one is killed. We never hired anybody for our many hunts....it was strictly a do it yourself hunt.....Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
flehto said:
Just being in a camp in the Rockies at 10,500 ft elevation is an experience not to be forgotten and the encounters w/ elk are all memorable, especially when one is killed. .....Fred
I understand that, and you are right, I'll never forget my one encounter with elk in the mountains. I hunted mule deer at 10,000-11,000 ft. in the Jarbidge Wilderness in NE Nevada with a good friend and experienced elk hunter. I shot my deer early on and was planning to spend the day chasing grouse while my friend was out trying to get his early the next morning. Not long after first light, while I was still pounding my ear, my friend charged into camp like the world was ending and snatched me with him, barely letting me get my shoes on, wouldn't tell me why, just said shut up and hurry. He took me a mile from camp to where we could overlook a small clearing, 3 acres or so, in the aspens and we sneaked forward, sat down in the tall grass. There in the clearing was the most magnificent animal I've ever seen in the wild, a huge 6x6 bull elk, not more than 60 yards away, doing his thing. He pranced around, made short runs this way and that in the clearing, bugling loudly and frequently. The sight of him in that slanting, yellow early morning light, with his head thrown back bugling, vapor streaming from his mouth, in that beautiful clearing surrounded by aspens in full color...well, unforgettable doesn't do justice.

Nevada Fish and Game had just started an elk restocking program in the area a year before, and we had seen sign of elk as we hunted deer, but never expected that experience. My friend took a nice bull a couple of years later only a short distance from that spot.

I might have taken a cow elk if the opportunity had ever presented, but I could never kill an animal like that. At the end of my hunting career I'm glad I never was faced with the choice. And I wish my friend had let me grab my camera. :grin:

Spence

54ball said:
DSTs go way back.

Christian Oerter letter

Christiansbrunn, the 9th September, 1773
Most valued Friend Martin Baer,
At your request I have prepared [completed/finished] a good rifle and sent it over to Mr. John Hopson together with 4 pounds of Powder. The rifle is decorated [inlaid] with silver wire and well made, as well as tested and she shoots right well. It has a double trigger, so that you can fire with the triggers either unset or set. Between the triggers there is a screw with which you can make it lighter or harder to fire. There is also a ball puller with which you can pull the ball out no matter how rusty she gets. She costs 8 pounds all together and with the powder @ 3 shillings per pound makes twelve shillings, for a total of L8.12.-. Because it is very good powder I have added two pounds more than you requested. I hope it will suit you well. You can write me a couple lines to let me know how you like it. Together with friendliest greetings I am your faithful
friend and servant,
Christian Oerter
Gunmaker

One of the traits of a Southern rifle from the late 18th through the 19th Century was double set triggers most of the single lever type.

DSTs are still pretty common in Europe.

OK! you got me on a technicality... :haha: ....but 30ish years before the 19th century is not "way back"....

Arguing is a moot point....those that like DSTs love'em.....Those that don't hate'em...... :v

I hunt with a Browning Mountain Rifle which has a single set trigger like you inquire about. I really like it for cold weather hunting as there is plenty of room within the trigger guard to stick my gloved finger. I can shoot the gun without setting the trigger with about a 4# trigger pull,or if the situation allows, I can set the trigger for a 1# pull.

Fred, problems with set triggers firing before you want aren't a new thing.

Wm. Clinkenbeard, Kentucky frontier ca 1780, during an Indian skirmish:
" About this time the Indian threw away his gun as I saw. It was pretty open woods. I was on one rise, a hollow before us and then another one. I had drawn up my gun, a double trigger, and was going to shoot, but I saw I could catch the Indian and just dropped it to my side and put after him. As I ran something caught the trigger and my gun went off."

Spence

If you miss what ever you are shooting at and blame the double set triggers, thats your own fault. Go to the range more often and burn it into your "reflexes". :2

FML said:
If you miss what ever you are shooting at and blame the double set triggers, thats your own fault. Go to the range more often and burn it into your "reflexes". :2
For that you get a refund....
F8ekzeM.jpg

My friend who missed the 6X6 bull now has a better idea....don't use a DST. .....Fred

colorado clyde said:
To each their own. But, if DSTs were " all that and a bag of chips", we would see them on far more modern examples of firearms....BUT!, we don't .......in fact history has limited them to novelty of obscurity.......

Savage Accu trigger.

My Timney trigger is fully adjustable.

Other modern style target shooting rifles actually use a 2 stage trigger, even one muzzle loader company has its own tac 2 state trigger. In fact we have 2 ar's in the family and a few ak's with trigger reset that makes them very light weight.

I normally have my double set triggers adjusted to under 1lb while hunting. Never had any issues with accuracy on what I am aiming at.

I think the blue pills some of those boys pop over time, build up in the system and cause stiff trigger fingers and make them go off prematurely. :pop:

FML said:
savage Accu trigger.

My Timney trigger is fully adjustable.

Other modern style target shooting rifles actually use a 2 stage trigger, even one muzzle loader company has its own tac 2 state trigger. In fact we have 2 ar's in the family and a few ak's with trigger reset that makes them very light weight.

None of those examples have two triggers....They are all single triggers......

I have let a few deer get away because of cold fingers and DSTs, with my numb fingers I couldn't tell I was on the trigger.

I have a fine rifle that was given to me by a friend. He shot competitively with it and had the trigger lightened to the point that just touching the side of the trigger would set it off.

Being a gift, I was determined not to change a thing on the rifle, including adjusting the trigger. That was until I had a nice 8 point at 10 yards and sent one over his back by barely touching the trigger as I drew a bead on him.

I have used the same rifle on a bunch of deer kills since and not had a problem, I adjusted the trigger to where it has to be actually pulled. The trigger is a single phase double set and can't be fired using just the front trigger.

thats the point behind double set triggers. Hair trigger. However, that one sounds like it was adjusted boarder line to being a safety issue.

As for cold fingers. They sell wool mittens where the finger cover folds back, exposing all 4 digits. I hate shooting with gloves, so the mitts are my choice.

Back