• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Duck & Dutch Oven

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

16gauge

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Anybody have any recipes for duck in a Dutch oven? I tried to do a search, but I came up empty handed.

I'd say just try a regular recipe and adopt it to the DO. Anything you can cook in a regular oven at home can be cooked in a Dutch at camp. Good luck!

Me thinks a distinction must be made as to whether the duck is wild or domestic. I relish "tame" ducks and disdain wild ducks because of the toughness and lousy taste. Of course some have recipes that make wild duck palatable but these "concoctions" camoflage the duck meat w/ all sorts of artificial flavors to hide the innate, "fowl" taste of duck. A few years ago when grouse hunting, we came upon a beaver pond that attracted a whole lot of mallards and we shot two and anticipated a "feast" that evening seeing the crops were full of corn. My father is a gourmet cook {owned a restaurant} and prepared the 2 mallards and when we sat down to eat, the first and second bites were awful. I took the ducks out to our hungry English Setter, he smelled the ducks and proceeded to "lift his leg" and also showed his disdain of these "fowl tasting" birds. Haven't even attempted to give wild ducks a second chance.......Fred

16guage,
Google "dutch oven duck".....A few
entries there.
snake-eyes :hmm:

I am not very fond of duck. When I was a kid at home my folks would clean local hunters' game for half the meat, and this included many ducks. My mom always soaked the ducks in salt water overnight in the ice box.

Here is a basic recipe using traditional ingredients and a dutch oven.

1 duck
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper
flour
1/4 cup butter

Cut duck into serving pieces. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roll in flour. Heat butter in a dutch oven and brown the meat. Sprinkle with thyme and add cream. Cover and simmer slowly over low heat about 1 1/2 hours until very tender. Serve.

If you want to vary it with more "store-bought" ingredients, you can always experiment by using cream of mushroom soup and milk in place of the heavy cream, as well as seasoning blends such as Cavender's, Mrs. Dash, etc. By the way, this basic recipe works well with older squirrel, rabbit, and pheasant. I hope this helps.

Leaky Roof

When I was young we hunted duck on Great South Bay in New York. An old gunner instructed me to simply remove the breasts from Brant ( a smaller goose) as they were the only really edible part. Soak over nite in salt water. drain and dry, roll in flour , seasoned, and saute or fry in olive oil or butter (or both) as you choose. Worked pretty good. Good smoke, ron in FL

Back