• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dumb Squirrel question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jh45gun

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This may sound dumb but I have not shot many squirrels so I do not know how to tell a young one from a old one? Oh a few when I was younger but not lately. Anyway If I do get some which I hope to do how do you tell if it is a young one for frying or a older one which you have to cook different? Jim

First year/Young squirrels are smaller in size. They are usually pretty dumb too. Also, their sking is very soft a skin very easily. Older ones, you usually have to use some muscle to get the skin off.
After you kill a few you'll be able to tell the difference in the tree. I sure would like some squirrel pot-pie... I think I go over to the park today.

SP

1. get all of the fur off of the meat, young or old.

2. young ones, broil or fry in bacon drippings.

3. old ones, boil until the meat falls off the bones. add dumplings or vegies of choice.

4. a skillet of good cornbread or biscuits is mandatory if you live below the Ohio River ( I never hunted them above the Ohio, I do not know what the Yankee requirements are!)

I never made squirrel pot pie, sounds good! Is that what yankees do with the squirrels because their women can't bake biscuits?

(I've just heard such and have do direct knoweledge that yankee women can't make biscuits! Purely rumor and speculation based on the "hungry look" on the faces of their men as they drive through to Florida!)

:results:

Ghost,
You cut me to the quick... I grew up in South Carolina and we ate squirrels every fall. My favorite is fried squirrel, smothered in gravy with biscuits for breakfast. My neighbor made a mean Squirrel Bog and Squirrel with dumplins. Squirrel pot-pie is just like chicken PP, just replace the Chicken with squirrel. I'll never forget the first time my wife ate SPP, she was actually enjoying it until she had a month full and pulled out a rib bone. She turned kinda white and left the table..... women.

SP

We always had S.O.S. (Squirrel On a Shingle), yep, nothing like squirrel gravy and biscuits, and it works for both young and old squirrels...

Now that's good viddles...

Sorry Slowpoke, didn't mean to insult a fellow southern boy!

My mama once lifted the lid on a pot of squirrel stew and cleared all of her daughters in law from the table! One of those squirrel heads was floating on the top. I've always accused her of doing that on purpose!

She dosen't cook much any more. I knew she was feeling her years when I went to the house one time, about twenty years back, and she was cooking canned biscuits! Life just hasn't been the same since!

She dosen't cook much any more. I knew she was feeling her years when I went to the house one time, about twenty years back, and she was cooking canned biscuits! Life just hasn't been the same since!

That box of "Squirrel Helper" was another hint...
helper.jpg

Pressure cook the older ones for about 7 minutes. Takes the tough right out of them.

I'll put squirrel stew and fresh sour dough rye bread up against any recipe any day.

Ghost: Don't let rumor fool You,I've eaten biscuits,dumplings and cornbread all over this Great country,and found that country folks seem to make good fare.The only place I've not found good biscuits (other than the Wife's)is far West Texas,and I'm still looking.Your right about how good Squirrel is.We use it in most all the recipes for all other kinds of meat.By the way Squirrels get good size here in Fla. :: :thumbsup:

The young ones are the best eaten.I put all of em,little or big in a oven in a glass or ceramic pot with a lid.Lay the skwerls on their side and fill with water up to the middle of the skwerls.Add a little garlic salt an pepper an cook at 350 degrees for about 2 hours.
the young ones will just about fall off the bone and the older ones will be nice an tender.You can brown em sum more in a fryen pan after words but mine never make it that far.
Ive shot 21 skwerls with the 36 since season opened in september,i think ive ate 14 of em so far.
they just seem to taste better when shot with a muzzle loader ::
This will be the last weekend coming up fer bushytails for a while,unless i bag my turkey the first weekend with the 12 gauge remington,darn i wish i had a smooth bore.say around 72 cal :)

Thanks for the replys guys! While we have a few squirrels around in Northern WI I am sure you guys down south have a lot more. There just is not any farms around here anymore or no nut trees except for oak trees. I hunt them by accident if I see one while deer hunting (Bow or gun)or while bird hunting. ( since I am disabled now I do not get too far out in the woods but hunt the edges.) I may try for the squirrel if it gives me a shot. Until the leaves leave the trees ahd brush they are hard to find for a shot even if you do see one. I used to only carry a 22 but since they run from tree to tree so well and I am disabled and harder for me to get around now I think a scatter gun may serve me better if I want some squirrel meat. Just may have a use for that underhammer 12 gauge I am building. :) next year as it is not done yet this year may have to carry the 870 unless I see a good sitting shot with the 22. Jim

Ditto the pressure cooker for about 7 to 10 minute, but NO MORE. Then brown in a skillet. Good eating there!
Older ones is bigger, moer eating on them so I pass on little 'ens.
Here in Ohio we can only shoot male squirrels. :what:
Yup, males only.

i boil mine till they fall off the bones then put them in sauce for pasta and cook on low heat till they are just as tender as can be.........................bob

How do you tell when the squirrel is twenty yards away sitting on a branch fifteen feet up a tree? :eek:
Your eyes must be better than mine.

You shake the tree and if you hear nuts rattle you shoot!
Baawwwwwwwwwwwwwww-hawwwwwwwwwwwwwww.
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU BIT ON THAT ONE! :haha: :haha: :haha:

One thing I learned over the years, never microwave squirrels...

All you have to do is miss one pellet and the sparks will fly...

One thing I learned over the years, never microwave squirrels...All you have to do is miss one pellet and the sparks will fly...

thats why i use my .22 and blow there heads off............bob

A.22!!!???
you should be using a .32 flinter. That's what my cousin and I use. can't beat it, more fun than should be allowed by law. Once you try you won't go back. :imo:

Maxiball,
if he had'nt fell for it i would have because
i was wondering the same thing :crackup: :crackup:
you did good :imo: :RO:

snake-eyes :master: :peace: :) :redface:

I'm not a great lover of Traditions products, but they do make that little .32 that costs about the same as some in-line shooters are paying for a box of sabots and slugs. Don't cost much more than a case of shotgun shells!

Ugly little thing, at least my stepson's was till I got hold of it! I rebuilt the whole thing and put a nice little maple under-rib with brass thimbles under the barrel and reshaped and refinished the stock while he wasn't looking.

Hope he don't mind me rebuilding his squirrel gun while he's in Iraq! That little gun is shooter too! Light, accurate, a bit short but you can't have everything for the price they charge.

My word, that gun was ugly though!

:m2c:

Back