• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dumb Ticking Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok, this is something I should probably know by now but I had a bunch of store bought patches that I've been using.

What exactly is Pillow/Mattress Ticking?

I know it's cloth but I've never noticed a cloth called "ticking" at the store. Is that what you ask for or???????

In fact if you go to Walmart ( cheapest source here and ask for it, they know what it is - it is basicly material for a pillow case ( tight waved , so feathers do not poke through...) At "my" walmart they have red striped one ( 0.016 inch) blue stripe ( 0.017) and off white (0.012).... right now price was $3.75 per yard compaird to a sewing store $ 7.95 per yard....
I stocked up just a few days ago...

It's the stuff with blue, or sometimes red stripes used to cover old style pillows and matresses. You'll know it when you see it, and any clerk worth her salt will know what you're talking about if you don't see it and have to ask.

BTW- Look close at the label to make sure it's 100% cotton, then run it through the washer and dryer once you get it home. It's coated at the mill with some kind of stuff called "sizing" that raises cobb with trying to get lube to stick. Washed and dried, that's not a problem, plus the weave is tightened in the process.

Supercracker said:
What exactly is Pillow/Mattress Ticking?
ORIGIN late Middle English : probably Middle Low German, Middle Dutch tÄ“ke, or Middle Dutch tÄ«ke, via West Germanic from Latin theca ”˜case

Ticking is the general term for a heavy cotton or cotton and linen blend fabric used to cover pillows or upholstery.

In the days when people slept on straw ticks for mattresses, and used feather pillows, they needed a fabric that was sturdy and closely-woven enough to keep the feather shafts (or straw fragments!) from working their way out and poking the skin. Ticking fabric was the answer. It is a heavy, sturdy fabric with a close, even weave. Feathers usually have a difficult time breaching this material.

Pillow ticking can be distinguished from other heavy fabrics by its print. Most ticking has narrow, vertical stripes ”” darker colors on a white or beige background. This pattern has been used for many years and most people recognize it at once. When buying ticking, a person should hold the free end up to the light. No light should show through the fabric weave. Otherwise, the weave isn’t close enough. The fabric also should not drape easily over the hand. It should feel a little stiff and heavy. Some of the stiffness will wash out and will soften through use, but the stiffness denotes good quality.

Pillow ticking is a tightly woven fabric- usually cotton, that factories use to make--you guessed it---PILLOW CASES!!!! Mattress ticking is a thicker fabric, also cotton, with a high count weave, that gives it the strength needed in a mattress to carry the full weight of humans.

Expect pillow ticking to be between .012" and.015", while Mattress ticking will measure .018-.024" thick. Both fabrics have a starch-like substance called sizing put in them in the factory, to make them lay smoothly and tight on a " bolt" of cloth, for more efficient shipping, and storage. This "Sizing" must be washed out of the fabrics before they are used.

Do not rely on " color codes", advice I have seen repeated here more than once. I visited my Walmart a couple of years ago with my micrometer, and found There was no uniformity in thickness based on color of the stripes. I had two different red striped tickings, that measured different thickness, one the same as the "blue-striped" ticking, which was suppose to be thinner fabric. When I checked several Blue Striped bolt of ticking, I got wide variations in thickness, there, too. The Bolts had labels on them indicating they came from different factories.

For pillow makers, and mattress makers, the thickness of the fabric is not a main concern. For shooters, it has to be. :shocked2: :hmm: :grin: :bow: :surrender: :thumbsup:

And, in case it must be known, MLErs are not the primary purchasers of these fabrics. :shocked2: :idunno: :surrender: :hatsoff:

Your question surely isn't dumb. The guys have provided a thorough explination of pillow ticking. You might also go into your local fabric shop and talk with the seamstress. I'm sure she will give you a hands on education about different fabrcs. The first time I walked into one of those shops a person couldn't have felt more out of place but the Ladies were incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. I walked out with a much better understanding of what I needed to use for patches that I couldn't have learned anywhere else. Dumb question, no. Smart question, Yes.

any clerk worth her salt will know what you're talking about
I went into a fabric store and the clerk hadn't a clue. She didn't even know where it might be and she basically left me to find it on my own. I Then asked an older more experienced clerk and she at least knew what I was talking about and led me to the Cotton canvas area. It turns out they did not even stock the stuff. Next move, Mall-Wart, Find it yourself and they had 2-3 differnt ones. Now I waited 20 minutes for service and could not find an employee anywhere to help me out (and I mean I could not even find a floor employee). So I cut my own and took it up to the front. The employee at the register could not look up a price and again had no clue, he told me to just take it :shocked2: Just one more reason I try to avoid Mall-Wart like the plague. I did have a much more professional and efficient trip to a different Mall-Wart at a later time and stocked up with 3 yards. That was 2 years ago and I am just now running out.

they didnt have it at hobby lobby. (clerk didnt know what i was talkin about and i couldnt find it) off to walmart to check. :idunno:

There certainly is no such thing as a dumb question and that's a fact. There IS such a thing as a dumb answer, however.

Many of the walmarts are doing away with bolts of cloth.I bought some last year ,this year none , I was lucky to find a prepacked 2 yd piece of flannel for cleaning patches.
I used to get oddball prints that were bolt ends
realy cheap for patches ,no more.
If the wally world near you still has bolts of fabric check out what they have in the bolt ends, they may have some pillow ticking or flannel there.

-----I went to a Mennenite fabric store and asked for pillow ticking and they asked what it is-- :idunno: ----- :idunno:

rubincam said:
-----I went to a Mennenite fabric store and asked for pillow ticking and they asked what it is-- :idunno: ----- :idunno:

I guess they weren't muzzleloaders. :haha:

rubincam said:

I live in Northern Indiana, another Mennonite string hold. No sweat finding pillow tick, pocket drill, etc. It's probably more an age/experience thing than anything else.
Regards,
Pletch

I once went to a fabric store to ask about buying ticking. They wanted to know if my question was for regular ticking or a question about dumb ticking. :rotf: :hmm:

Back