• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dumb Ticking Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never had a problem finding it, BUT the "real" pillow ticking has the blue or red thread woven into it(seperate colored threads) not just printed to look like pillow ticking.

I love the looks I get when I go into a fabrics store and pull out my micrometer and start measuring thickness on ticking material. :grin:

Pletch said:
rubincam said:
-----I went to a Mennenite fabric store and asked for pillow ticking and they asked what it is-- :idunno: ----- :idunno:

I live in Northern Indiana, another Mennonite string hold. No sweat finding pillow tick, pocket drill, etc. It's probably more an age/experience thing than anything else.
Regards,
Pletch
Man, that's a fact.

I buy mine at the local Ben Franklin store. The 'fabric department' is run by a wonderful grey-haired lady who was not at all surprised to see me measuring fabric with a micrometer. She told me what the thickness was, and she was right. I asked her if it was common to see men measuring the thickness of fabric, and she said, 'Honey, I've been doing this long enough that I've seen everything. Now, how many patches you gonna need?"

I grew up Mennonite I live in Waterloo county in Ontario and we have every stripe of them from the horse and buggy groups, 2 or 3 variations in that department alone, to the black car without chrome or chrome painted black to modern Mennonites where almost anything goes. Penna Dutch is derived from a Swiss dialect and as the Mennos originated in Zurich many of the older traditional groups still speak it.

A better material than pillow ticking is No.40 drill cloth at Joanns fabric.The thickness is uniform as opposed to pillow ticking.Another option is denim.

Latest posts

Back