• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dunlap Woodcraft Rifle Kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I normally use a alcohol based stain or shoe dye & that way I can rub it out to where I want it.

Example: This Bucks County stock has 4 heavy wet coats of Danglers Dark Brown stain.
It is rubbed almost all the way back with steel wool & rubbing alcohol. I just kept wetting the
pad & rubbing it, wetting again & rubbing, til almost all of the light parts were unstained, and
the dark stripes just stayed dark.

Rifle_Of_A_Lifetime.jpg

I suggest you do some samples on scraps to find the color ya want. I am not big on mixing stains,
as if ya have to match one later that can be a problem. I go with a stain I like for that Particular
piece or wood & go on. And I keep a log book with the rifle I have built, specs including
the stain & finish on it.

:thumbsup:

Hey quit showing us your fine workmanship, you are making the rest of us look bad!! Just kidding. Nice pieces! you have set the bar.

Thanks for the info and advice. My kit should yield a similar rifle. If it turns out looking half as nice as your rifle I will be a happy man.
Thanks, Dennis

Birddog, where does one get that Dangler's stain from? Looks beautiful, I would like to try it.

Squirrelheart

Lots of the ML parts suppliers have it.

I got this from Jim Klein when at Friendship & get several bottles each time so not to pay shipping. (Phone # is not on his bottle)

You can order it from Muzzleloader Builders Supply also.

:thumbsup:

I normally use the dark brown or the reddish brown. The reddisk brown is my favorite of the two as it is a dark deep brown with a reddish hue to it.

Hey Birddog6, What barrel pattern and maker is the barrel on your deer rifle? Seems to have more flair at the muzzle than my Colerain.

It is a C-54 Colerain barrel 38" long on the Deer Hunting rifle. The flared nosecap the edges of the wood flare out towards the end & it makes it appear to be more of a swamp.

The Bivins rifle has a B-50 Rice barrel in 38"

The Bucks rifle has a B-50 Colerain Golden Age barrel 42" long.

Barebackjack: Yes, I let them each dry, then coated them really wet heavy between coats. But keep in mind this was Not s soft stock, but a really hard dense stock. I test some samples from the stock before I stain so I know I can get it back to where I want it.

Latest posts

Back