• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dutch oven

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

east texas

45 Cal.
Reaction score
hey guys whats yer favorite dutch oven fixins? mines a big ol peach cobbler, followed by a close second of backstrap,oinions and taters! :wink:

It's gonna be hard to follow that.
But when Big Red puts together a big D.Oven full of venison chile, all the surrounding camps are draggin logs to her fire.
Jon D

DSC00332.jpg

This was one of the better meals, there is two chickens in there. :thumbsup:

stewed venison or beef in savory gravy with biscuits placed atop and browned.

that looks good though, what 'skinner' has going on.

Pheasants, not under glass, just under iron, wine sauce, and veggies are cooked first as pheasant likes to dry out. Pork chops swimming in barbeque sauce, with taters and carrots.

Nothing smells better than lifting the lid on a dutch full of freshly baked bread. Pizza is the second for the smell test.

Might just light a fire now.

I make a stew of either salt pork / beef(after boiling off some of the brine), army beans (after they have soaked over night , onions quartered, carrets cut into chunks brought to a boil then set onto coals to simmer till the carrots are soft. For desert called Dump cake is slices of apples or peaches added to 2 cans of pie filling, yellow cake mix sprinkled over the top then a stick of butter is sliced and place all over the top. Placed over coals and coals over the top and allow the cake mix to brown. This will feed 10 soldiers. Coffee with a little medicianal libation to top of the evening meal in good company.

hey guys whats yer favorite dutch oven fixins?

Bread! Hot bread with butter, It dont get no better. My wife makes a dutch oven bread better than any oven or bread machine can. YUMMMmmmmmm!

'sawmill gravy' over cornbread, both cooked in a DO. couple hard-boiled to go with it and black coffee will get your engine revving in the morning now.
'sawmill gravy' - made with streaked pork (fat back, salt pork and sometime dryed salted beef) and cornmeal bread is what the ol tyme log camps fed the loggers in the Southern Appalachain camps.. about the cheapest thing that could be made, every camp had a cow or 2 for the milk and some chickens for eggs which went into cornbread batter also. that and boiled/fryed taters and simmered beans and whatever veggie was cheap - i.e. cabbage, turnips, sweet tater, carrots, okra for frying, etc.

yeah they did get greens in season, beets, squash and onions also. stewed and fried apples - etc.
some of the old timers around that logged the Pisgah and Smokys back in the early 20th Century told of camp life.
fresh meat was a luxury unless someone took a deer as was any baked goods made with white wheat flour which was rare in log camps. if the log camp owner was generous he might provide a hog or steer/ox to butcher before Thanksgiving. the camps usually closed during the worst of winter.
like as not any fresh meat was stewed, roasted or fried in a DO.

man, I cook everything in a DO that I do in a regular oven at home. Second to my huge ole Potjie (South African pot belly cauldron with a lid), it's my favorite camp cooking item. Items, really. I've got several.

There is just something about sitting around a camp fire on a cool night and scooping out your favorite food from a good Old Dutch oven. :)

I grilled calf liver and onions in mine friday night. made gravy with drippings and had mashed taters and fried okra.
rather it had been venison liver from a young dry doe.

Back