• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

dutch oven

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man iknow wht you mean there! every one wants to hunt horns but me! i get a lot of extra huntin around here because i promise to only take doe or spike, leaves all the racks for the real hunters :rotf: but im still eatin venison when theyre out! a dutch oven seems to be the PERFECT way for me to cook venison keeps it moist and tender! not to say i dont grill it or make a little sausage each year but i dont waste backstrap on the grill! its into the dutch with pot. and onions! seems to need very litlle seasoning that way, just a little salt and a lot of coarse ground black pepper! throw some sourdough biscuits on top when its just about done, it dont get no better!

Ya'll are driving me plain wacko with all this stuff. Ah reckon I'll hafta break mine out and cook somethin' in it. As the great man Jerry Clower said "you boys done flung a cravin' on me!!"

When I was in Scouting we did a roast of beef in the DO. 3 lb. roast brown on all sides then quarter an onion and arrange it around the roast along with 1 Potato per "customer". Add a bag of baby carrots to fill in the spaces around and add 2 cans of consomme. 3 hours later the kids couldn't believe it was possible to eat that good while camping in the bush. Beats the heck out of hot dogs on a stick. :thumbsup:

man you know what they make hot dogs out of? :rotf: nobody else does either! im thinkin the roast is a lots better :thumbsup:

I have a friend who works f Maple Leaf Foods, a meat packing business and yes I do know what hot dogs are made of. Wish I didn't. :rotf: :rotf:

I usually make a lot of stews but my favorite is a rack of porkchops, center cut, with the bones in. Brown, then simmer with the Hermits BBQ sauce. Hanging from my tripod, over a slow fire, thats fine eating. Meat falls off the bone, like pulled pork.

The Hermit

For pork: place a trivet in bottom of the Dutch, pour in coffee to fill space below trivet. Place pineapple on top of pork. Place Dutch over a low fire, checking the coffee level hourly and add water if needed. Do this for about five hours. Add whole potatoes and carrots after cooking (steaming) the pork for the five hours. Place as many coals on the lid as it will take, and bake until taters and carrots are done. There will be no leftovers.

This brings back really old memories. My best Friend has been gone for seven years now. We were hunting and camping many years ago. At supper the first night I had a thinly sliced doe liver and onions in my cooler. I had been thinking of this even meal for several hours.

I always try to bring more than I really want to eat. I ask my friend Kelly if he wanted any of my Fried Liver and Onions. Oh no he said I hate any kind of liver.

During the time I cooked the liver he started like the aroma and started saying now I have not ever smell liver like that. When I finished of course offered him some liver again. "Well I take just a taste it sure does smell great". We split the cooking before it was over and made a memory for life. He could not believe it was liver.

I could hear Kelly snoring in his tent soon after supper. He had a bad stomach but never had a single burp that night.

Don Jackson Remington Magnum/Ultramag

i hear what yer sayin! our tradition was to always cook backstrap,onion and potatoes from the first kill. the ol dutch oven never smelled betterthan when we was cookin the backstrap, with biscuits on the lid!

Woods Dweller said:
There is just something about sitting around a camp fire on a cool night and scooping out your favorite food from a good Old Dutch oven. :)

AMEN to that brother! :thumbsup:

Might happen around Christmas in your neck of the woods. :rotf: :rotf: It's going down to 45 here tonight. I might close the windows and crawl under the blanket. :haha:

man!45? hey do us a favor and get a big ol fan and put it in a south facing window and turn it on high! its been 102 all week here!

Back