• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dutch Schoultz Method?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dutch

Iron gets rust pits, all the rusting happens at the bottom of the pit and exudes like toothpaste from the top of the pit. The pit will follow a flaw in the metal if it can find one, damascus barrels get little semicircular pits where it follows the weld line. Bad news for cannon cast with a slag inclusion. They didn't know adding lead to the mix would diffuse the slag which is how we make malleable cast iron for things like engine crankshafts.

I just cleaned out the water ways in a 1996 injection moulder. The pitting was about 1/8" into the cast iron in places.

In the early days cast iron cannon were made in England and Sweden only, nowhere else, it was difficult. Dud Dudley had an exclusive on it. He did 3 sorts of cast iron, in descending order of fining, gray, motley and white.

He also left us a book, Mettallum Martis, which is mostly a winge about the charcoal burners attacking his coal furnaces but does have some clues... "the Gray iron is most fined and more sufficient to make Bar-Iron with, and tough Iron to make Ordnance, or any Cast Vessels, being it is more fined in the Furnace, and more malliable and tough, then the other two sorts before mentioned;"

You have to wonder if he was puddling or just hammering the slag out. Trade secrets.

Robin

charles keller said:
Dutch,

Thanks for the information. I have a batch of patch strips drying downstairs. Heat and relatives will keep me from the range for a while, but I'm anxious to give it a try.
Charlie

Make sure they are plenty dry before sealing in a plastic bag. DAMHIK :redface:
greenpatch.jpg
[/img]

Thank you, Paul.
I have been wondering how you were able to get standard Mineral oil to dissolve in water.

I',ve seen this mentioned in several posts.
I was happy with my water soluble oil but have often wondered what would happen if you mixed an oil with alcohol or some other medium that would cause the oil to spread evenly and which, after evaporation, would return th oil to it original state.

Thinking, thinking ”¦”¦”¦ How did your operation go.

I was expecting a cataract operation but learned that I had waited Tooooo Long.

Quelle domage!

Dutch

To get back to the original question, I just received Dutch's system today, and intend to apply it to my new Brown Bess. I've been shooting it a bit, but haven't really had the time to work up a consistent load for it. It seems to shoot pretty well with the random charge I have chosen for it, and look forward to applying Dutch's system. I will post the results, but expect that it will take some time as I am also working up a load for some BP cartridge rounds. Too much to do, too little time.

Cheers,
Chowmi

Stumpkiller,
Would you explain what you mean when you say Castor Oil "SUSPENDS" in alcohol?

Do you mean it blends into the alcohol like water soluble oil blends into water?

Dutch Schoultz - I just learned that there is another Dutch on the forums should be more specific.

Yepper. A solvent changes the state of another ingredient. Castor oil is already a liquid and the solvent (alcohol) just dilutes it, where it stays in suspension.

If you mix things and set the mixture aside and eventually they separate - it was not a solution but a suspension. Salt water is a solution. Something has to change state - like evaporate off as a gas - to undo it. Salad dressing and carbonated water are suspensions.

Solution. Water evaporating has changed state from liquid to gas.

Though, depending on the oil, most will eventually separate if left undisturbed for hours, days, months or years.

I know I always shake my two-stroke oil & gasoline mix before pouring. ;-)

Thanks again.
I have had complaints from people who live where there is very hard water. (Mineral enriched)

Apparently the water is already carrying enough non water products to make room for the Water Soluble oiul and it separates almost immediately.

Thanks. I'll drop the subject.

Dutch S

Back