• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

E ROBBINS NEW YORK Dbl Bbl Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silhouette4570

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought an E ROBBINS NEW YORK, 28Ga muzzleloading Shotgun at auction a couple of years ago, I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with the name. I'm considering whether or not to send it off for restoration. Except for the ram rod, it's 100% original with all it's parts. When I got it the stock was cracked at the wrist and I had it professionally repaired, at present the crack is undetectable. The gun is otherwise untouched. The barrels are English proofed with the 1868-1925 Birmingham definitive black powder proof for shotguns. The barrels are soldered. They are very faded, even under the forearm, but appear to be twist rather than Damascus. The locks are tight and crisp, hammers even, but I wouldn't trust the half cocks. The hammers can be forced out of half cock. I have a Manton that's the same. Maybe you just can't trust any of these old timers. The walnut stock and forarm arm are nicely figured with some burl to the stock and some stripe to both. Although the bores are evenly rusted, they are .075 wall thickness at the muzzles. Seems plenty to me for a restoration. The locks are back action, lightly engraved, with fine, opposing scalloped lines forming a wavy line, with some leafy scrolls incorporated. They are marked with the Robbins address - as is the top of the rib. I know a picture is worth all these words, but I haven't mastered Photobucket, yet.

I only paid $200.00 for this gun, so if the gun has value and is worth restoring, the cost would not hold it back. But, if not, I don't want to spend money and be upside down in it. So, is E ROBBINS NEW YORK a good name in shotguns?

Jack

I would think that E. Robbins was a retail store and the gun was made for them by a maker in England, considering the proof marks.

Possible, twobarrel, but the fact that an American name is on a,say, English or Belgian laminated barrel is no indication of where the gun was made, since all of our finest shotgun makers in the day used laminated barrels from both of those countries. Very, very few laminated barrels were made here. That's not saying you're not right, it's just saying the proofs are no indication.

Jack

twobarrel said:
I would think that E. Robbins was a retail store and the gun was made for them by a maker in England, considering the proof marks.

I second that.

Twice.

Twiceboom and twobarrel, From what I'm learning you guys are pretty close. I've learned that there were three E Robbins merchants doing business in New York around the time of this gun. None were gun makers, but all dealt with firearms as dealers and importers. Your opinions are helpful, save me some bucks.

Thank, Jack

Back