• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Earliest record of powder horns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ Deery

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering what is the earliest documentation on the use of powder horns, does anyone know?

Thanks

Aw Geez, I can't find any documentation right at the tip of my fingers, but it's not hard to guess that horns carried powder just about the time gun powder was invented.
Animal Horns have been used as vessels and containers for thousands of years, :idunno:

Fyi, one of the "burial objects" found with Spirit Lake Man (circa 12-14,000BC) LOOKS very much like a powder horn, complete with wood stopper & the remains of a strap. - It contains "some kind of unidentified dust", according to the chief docent of The Museum of the American Indian in DC.

I suspect that ancient man made containers from animal horn (that look like powder horns) as early as man had the means to make such containers.
When gunpowder was invented, I suspect that using horn containers for gunpowder quickly followed because those containers were "convenient".

MERRY CHRISTMAS, satx

Latest posts

Back