• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Earliest rifled artillery?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know the earliest example or record of a rifled cannon? Rifled firearms existed since the 16th, and possible 15th century, but I cannot find a rifled cannon from before the 19th century. Other "modern" artillery features, like breechloading, existed in that time, so it is a little strange that no one seems to have combined any of that with rifling. Maybe pressure was too much of a problem to make it feasible, considering smoothbore cannons struggled with bursting?

Well that was a fun rabbit hole.

I am no cannonist, but as Bill mentioned, and from what I read, rifled artillery didn't start appearing until the middle of the 19c.

::someone in the 1850's handling a minie ball:: "This upgrade has been fantastic. Heyyyyy waitaminute. What if we made it bigger?"

Went to Fort Macon in NC, on the southern outer banks last week. It said that 32-pound rifled cannons during the Civil War, placed miles away, blasted away such that the Fort surrendered after 2-days.

There was a placard at that Fort that said it was 1st used against Fort Pulaski in Georgia, where rifled cannons signified the end of such brick/stone fortifications.

Hey, I found a link about it!!!!!

https://www.nps.gov/fopu/learn/historyculture/rifled-cannon.htm

The result of this bombardment must cause...a change in the construction of fortifications as radical as that foreshadowed in naval architecture by the conflict between the Monitor and the Merimac. No works of stone or brick can resist the impact of rifled artillery of heavy calibre." Major General David Hunter

Last edited:
Does anyone know the earliest example or record of a rifled cannon? Rifled firearms existed since the 16th, and possible 15th century, but I cannot find a rifled cannon from before the 19th century. Other "modern" artillery features, like breechloading, existed in that time, so it is a little strange that no one seems to have combined any of that with rifling. Maybe pressure was too much of a problem to make it feasible, considering smoothbore cannons struggled with bursting?
Rifled cannons require elongated projectiles with either copper expansion bands around their base or some kind of sabot arrangement.
No one was thinking about that kind of stuff prior to about 1840.

French started experimenting with them in the 1840s.
With that came exploding shells by 1850
Scared the Brits and they started thinking about Ironclads
French said hmm we had better work on this. And ironclads were born, armed woth rifles guns up to 68 pounders
Very devastating in the Crimean war and out war between the states

Cannon folks might like this book. I read it a few yrs ago, very interesting.
IMG_0455.jpegQq

I'd wondered what might have happened in world history if flintlocks had been given cylindrical bullets. It would have been a step much easier to introduce than changing cannons. This thread reignites my interest.

Back