• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early plains rifle build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut a dovetail and installed the rear sight on the flintlock I am building. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Just about ready to brown the barrel.

Where is this sight relative to the balance point when you hold the gun with 1 hand? Myself, I put the sights within 1/8"-3/16" right behind the heel of my hand when using a 4-fingered hold.

Well, I was concerned with the location relative to where I am able to focus with my old eyes so I never even considered that. It turns out that the sight is right in the center of my hand when I hold the rifle at it's balance point. Oh well live and learn...

My rifle is finally done. It's definitely not perfect, but I like it well enough. I took it out this morning for its inauguration. It shot nice tight groups at various powder charges. And I never experienced a hang fire or misfire which is pretty good for me. I think it will make a fine elk hunting weapon. Now on to my next build and use what I learned from this one to do better.

Back