• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Early Virginnie Riflegun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba45

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I finally got to shoot the 54 flinter Roy built for me this morning and it shoots great ! I fired five rounds through it and couldnt see the point of shooting any more without changing the target.
I fired 3 with 60grs KIK fffg ,.015 oxyoke spit lube patch , .530 rb and 2 with same patch/ball ,80grs KIK fffg and they cut a ratty hole at 25yds from the bench . Last 2 shots went about a ball dia. higher.
Roy coned the muzzle on this for me and it loads oh so easy and no need for short starter.
Roy did a great job and it shoots point of aim as I havent touched the sights .I was holding 6 o'clock and thats where she hits !!
YeeHaa !!! I'm jazzed deer season opens on the 4th of Oct. !

Ginnytrgt002.jpg

The little holes are left over from my buddy trying to sight in a pellet rifle with loose mts.

Hey Swampy , Roy did a super job on that lock tunin !! That thing is quick !

First shot I goofed a bit ......I have a 4ffffg horn with a 4grn spring loaded spout and another with the 2 grn spout . Well dummy me I give it a double push in the pan and closed the frizzen ,tipped , tap tap and shot .......about set my eyebrow on fire !
Didnt take me long to figger out I had the big primin horn LOL LOL !!!
8 grns is a bit over kill for prime in that lock ! :rotf:

My gun likes 2 pushes of a 4 gr spout. Use 3F though. Want some of my bear/deer lube mix to try and use for hunting? I got enough to send ya a little bit if ya want to try it.

Can't get much better than that for the first balls out of the tube,enjoy that longgun and the upcomming season, I'm hunting with the centerfire crowd this year on the Oct 4th opener, some blasted &^#-line shooting ^%$#% drew my ML tag this year :cursing: but it'll still be a ML hunt for me :grin:

Thats what I'm doin also tg . I just put in for the Keno tag and am usin the front stuffer.

tg: Do you live in one of those weird states that doesn't allow muzzleloaders during the center fire big game rifle season?

In Arizona you can hunt with a muzzleloader or even a center fire pistol during the center fire big game rifle season.

:eek:ff

:rotf: :rotf: just kiddin... I just always wanted to do that :rotf:

zonie , here in Ore. you can hunt with ML in CF season or pistol if you get tag validated for pistol . But ML you just have the option to use it .

Yeah, what Bubba said, we can use a ML in general rifle season..like what other kind of gun could I use? I got rid of my last CF 'cept for the 12 gauge 20" barreled coach gun beside the bed quite a few years ago and never looked back, or felt handicapped wherever, whenever, or whatever I hunt. :thumbsup:

Although it's a smoothie that Roy's building for me, I just realized that every time I read a post about any of his builds I salivate! No kidding! Like one of Pavlov's dogs!! Blamed-near gotta climb in my canoe!

Man, I can't wait!

Doubt I'll shoot well enough to post like you, though. Good job!

Back