• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

easiest to clean powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billholmes

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Afternoon all. I am looking for the easiest to clean black powder. I have been using Goex for years but man, its gets pretty old cleaning that stuff out of my barrel. I appreciate any opinions you have on other powders or tips on making cleaning easier.
Thanks

I only use goex--real BP cleans easier than the artificial stuff--just use a little water to flush out the BP residue--it is water soluble--can't get easier than that--lots of ideas on here but---BLACK POWDER is the easiest to clean and WATER is all you need to dissolve it--- :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

rubincam said:
I only use goex--real BP cleans easier than the artificial stuff--just use a little water to flush out the BP residue--it is water soluble--can't get easier than that--lots of ideas on here but---BLACK POWDER is the easiest to clean and WATER is all you need to dissolve it--- :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree 100%

HD

Bill:
Well I hope I don't cause us Kentuckians to get a bad reputation but....

IMHO, almost any replica powder seems to clean easier than real black powder.

My personal favorite is 777.

Osage

3f Goex seems to clean up pretty well for us.We used to use Pyrodex and had some rust problems.

i've heard that pyrodex actually absorbs into the metal,,,making it very hard to clean,,,,have to keep checking for rust several days after cleaning,,, :nono: :nono: :nono:

I have never contaminated any of my Muzzleloaders with anything except Goex Tripple F.

Cleans fast, Shoots accuratley.

Headhunter

I only use real BP either Goex or Swiss. I have no problem cleaning either.

If your looking for a clean shooting sub for a caplock I would recommand American Pioneer Powder. I used to use it and have friends that still do. That stuff is as advertised.

OK, OK, I give up! i will jsut shut my mouth and keep using goex. Maybe I just got a little lazy. I wont deny that. But I will be da**ed if I ever resort to using anything smokeless. Might as well sell out and get a friggen in-line when that happens.

Pyrodex is darn easy to clean up from my experience. This thread popped up when I was considering starting a thread on if 777 is corrosive or not.

Oldwolf:

I sorta figured my reply to the question would stir up the hornets a little.

Actually I use PyrodexRS in my fast twist bullet rifle and 777 in my slow twist patched ball rifle.

However, "Easiest to clean" will always result in an endless debate, but as one poster correctly noted, none are totally easy, its just the nature of the beast.

Now as far as a totally NON-CORROSIVE real or replica black powder, I rather doubt that any powder maker should make that claim either.

Bill:

I agree "smokeless" and "inline" with regard to traditional muzzleloading firearms just doesn't fit together and thus represent absolutely no interest to me.

Osage

billholmes said:
Afternoon all. I am looking for the easiest to clean black powder. I have been using Goex for years but man, its gets pretty old cleaning that stuff out of my barrel. I appreciate any opinions you have on other powders or tips on making cleaning easier.
Thanks
Goex...cleanup is a snap depending on the lube that one uses.

Ensure there is absolutely no petroleum based lube or even any petroleum based residue left in the bore...then use Hoppes No9 'PLUS' BP solvent & Patch lube for your next couple trips to the range...make the patches damp to almost wet.

I shoot 50 shot range sessions without any wiping between shots at all, and when I clean the bore with steaming hot soapy water Patch #1 will be dingy, Patch #2 will have barely a trace, Patch #3 will be clean.

Yes, different powders can have different amounts of residue, but thats difference is insignificant to the cleaning issue you mention...the type and amout of lube is the place to focus for that.

There always has to be someone who can't walk past a hornets nest without picking up a stick and hitting it. :shake:
Just stick with the Goex.
You'll have fewer ignition problems.
All the fake powders are just as corrosive as BP.
Part of front stuffing is cleaning the gun.
Resist the temptation to leave the flock and stay with the Black Sheep.

The cleanest burning black powder I have ever shot is Swiss, bar none.... But I only shoot it in smallbore rifles.

Most of the time I shoot Goex or Scheutzen, and a good lube & properly fitted ball/patch combo can make a world of dif. in the amount of fouling you will build up.

:thumbsup:

I found it depends on what patch lube is used as to how hard the clean up is with any of the powders. :hmm:

No different than firing a smokeless centerfire rifle. You clean it initially after firing it and then clean the barrel again after approx 48 hours. What's the big deal?

Back