• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

easy way to "age" your lock with mustard

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quinnconner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I take my new lock, whether flint or percussion, and first use the wire brush wheel on my bench grinder to give it a nice satin polished look.Then I clean it with alcohol and use a q-tip to put mustard on it, just like a hot dog.I let it sit and dry ,and then wash off the mustard residue with a clean cloth.I re-apply and do this about 4 or 5 times.Each time the color of the metal changes a little more .From shiny silver to dull gray to brown in areas that I apply it heavier to.You can also give it a coat or 2 of birchwood casey cold blue paste if you want.The mustard browns it slowly and doesnt give off nasty fumes.When I am all finished, I coat it well with oil and I am finished.This works on all the steel parts.

And when you use pre-lubed mustard patches, you brown the bore with every shot... :haha:

plochmna.jpg

Actually, I heard of this before, it's also good for touching up a browned barrel that has been scratched...

I did this to a carbon steel patchknife (I put mustard on gauze and wrapped the blade) and it gave it a not quite Damascus, not quite case hardened look.

Folks should be mindful that this isn't an even 'browning' or patina, but it does give it an aged, mottled appearance (just don't want anyone to be surprised).

Does it acctually etch the metal or can it be scratched off over time?

I bought a knife blade from one of the vendors a few months ago and he suggested using mayonnaise to get the patina.

I guess it's the acids in the stuff; it does seem to work to give the knife a grayish patina.

Jerry.

Vinagre, the cheapest you can find, works well also. Let the parts soak overnight. If you want it darker, let soak longer. Rinse with water, dry, and wipe with oil.

If you want a really aged look, Use Laural Mt. brown for 3 to 5 days, with no carding, Then sand back until you like what you have. Use 220 or 400 grit wet+dry paper.

Latest posts

Back