• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Electrolysis Revisited For Bore Rust Removal Pics!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a gun from a forum member, and the bore was pure rust cake! I decided this would be great for my first run with my setup :thumbsup:

Very simple! Water and cleaning powder mixed up in a plastic tub. Hook up the ole battery charger. The hot side went to and old iron wrench, and the negative lead goes to the barrel.

01.jpg

Once the juice is turned on, the small bubbles start coming up right away!
011.jpg

After 24 hours, you can see all the rust and grease that came out of the bore. Much of it clings to the wrench or falls to the bottom!

012.jpg

Just look at all the manure that came out!

013.jpg

After 24 hours and before final removal!

014.jpg

You do have to scrub a little, to remove any loose stuff, and oil it up! I knew the bore was wasted, but this is a sure fire way to clean a rusty bore folks!

015.jpg

Next up will be an antique flintlock barrel I found at my great grand parents farm!

Simple questions maybe, but
1: What type of container did you use to submerge the barrel?
Question 2: Did it affect the finish on the barrel to any great extent?

That is good to know it didn't take off the blueing. I figured it would take off all ot the blueing. Kind of a neat way to get rid of rust. Thanks for the info!!

Yeah. Great stuff. I, too, am curious about the details. How much power did you run into the set-up? Despite being "wasted", what did the bore look like?
I keep coming across old shotguns w. rusty barrels; it might be worthwhile to try this;.
Pete

:applause:
I've heard of this before but never seen it done. Thanks very much for sharing the information and pics, may have to try it myself...

Spot

Pete D. said:
Yeah. Great stuff. I, too, am curious about the details. How much power did you run into the set-up? Despite being "wasted", what did the bore look like?
I keep coming across old shotguns w. rusty barrels; it might be worthwhile to try this;.
Pete

Well,
I think the barrel was shot out, and just left uncleaned for about 5 years! I will get batteries for my bore light, and take a closer look. The process leaves a black film on the inside and the outside which will wash off.

Can you explain the power supply a little better to this guy whose interest in antique guns parallels his ignorance of (and trepidation about) electricity? Is your setup providing alternating or direct current to the solution? Any other details this electricity ignoramus needs to know before starting on such a project?

Check out the trreasure forums for more info on this, we have used it for a long time. Reverse polarity and use silver or gold and plate things. :thumbsup:

And as a follow-up (from someone who doesn't even own a battery charger), what keeps your setup from forming a short circuit--is there, for instance, any special distance one needs to keep the wrench from the gun barrel?

The current is DC.
The voltage is low enough that there is no danger from an electrical shock.
There is no danger from creating a "short circuit" unless one of the metal objects actually touches the other.
The resistance of the water/soda solution is the resistance that prevents it from being a short circuit. By the way, this must be done in a non-conductive pan or tub like Mule-Brain used. If you put the parts in a metal tub, the tub will serve to create a real "short circuit".

I am somewhat surprised that the bluing isn't affected. After all, it is just a form of rust.

Hey Mule-Brain, it looks like your going to have to repeat your de-rusting now to save what looked to be a nice adjustable wrench! It sure looks crappy now. :grin:

zonie :)

This was covered in an earlier thread which has a YOUTUBE video on removing rust from a car part.
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/210266/[/url]

Glad to see someone tried it on a barrel and the results given.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice information. I'd be interested in what the bore looks like too. Any chance of removing the plug?

Latest posts

Back