• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

electronically clean rust in barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy3658

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever clean a muzzleloader barrel electronically to clean rust out of the inside does it work well I been reading some about it whats the best way to go any help will be a big help . Thanks Tim

I tried this out on an antique Marlin a couple of weeks ago. It worked very well, I used a battery charger on low and the washing (not baking) soda. I could see the rust being pulled from the barrel; could not see rifling before but could after this was complete. Obviously a pitted bore, is a pitted bore; won't turn it into a tack driver but can make it more usable. The rust that had "plated" itself to the rod was impressive.

Steel rod isolated on both ends; use a funnel in the muzzle to limit the mess.

Be VERY certain you have your polarity correct!

Tip - unless you have the barrel submerged in a horizontal setup (which I am told some people do...) then watch your fluid level constantly, it bubbles out fast. A funnel secured on the end helps a lot to keep it in the barrel (and off the floor). Makes a heck of a mess if you aren't careful.

Back