• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elizabethan Firearms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjkershul

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A family member is writing a novel set in the Elizabethan period- 1560/1603. Does anyone have information on the existing English or Continetal
firearms for that period? What was most prevalent for military and private use? Matchlocks? Wheellocks? Snaphaunce(sp)? :hatsoff:

Lots of pointed sticks, but there would be some sear type matchlock musq'ts, wheel locks on pistols and carbines, probably delicate snapping matchlocks for fowlers. In 1613 the Doge of Venice was told that England had changed from wheel locks to flint (fucili) arquebuses. But the common soldiers musket was probably a matchlock. Some snaphaunces perhaps, superceded by the English lock shortly after your period, very few survive with a seperate steel. The cavalry were still using wheellock pistols in the civil war mid century, the rest used whatever they could get.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of their claims, but the Rifle Shoppe has a parts set that they sell for an Elizabethan Snaphaunce. I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of their dating though.

On the elizabethan snaphaunce locks is there any pictures of the stock style that they would be online or in any books?? Curious what stock styles where being imployed at this time as I'd like to replicate a snaphaunce lock musket or pistol from the elizabethan time frame.

Thanks

Chris

chriskletke said:
On the elizabethan snaphaunce locks is there any pictures of the stock style that they would be online or in any books??

About a common as hen's teeth.

Howard Blackmore, Guns and Rifles of the World, plates 152 to 156 "English Snaphance Guns".

Three pieces from the late 16th century, including a Petronel dated 1584.

If you want to be right on the button period-wise a petronel would be perfect. Then you could figure out how to hold the ruddy thing, come back and tell us.

Wulf could probably put one together for you over lunch tomorrow. Sandwich in one hand, chisel in the other, beer with a straw :rotf:

Although I'm not particularly attracted to the stock on TRS Elizabethan carbine, I don't see much difference between the musket, the pistol, and the carbine snaphaunce locks other than size. What aspects of the carbine lock make it less aesthetically pleasing?

Isn't the complete carbine pictured as the Elizabethan carbine an original, or did someone age it by adding worm holes?

Hi Bioprof

I was having a bad day, please disregard that post :surrender:

best regards

Squire Robin

Latest posts

Back