• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elk Tags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fullstock58

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I put in for a Bull tag again this year for Colorado, who else is waiting for some good news!

Me too. I had one point so it's almost a shoe in for me for a statewide bull.

Results will be posted very soon on the DOW site.

My nephew and I put in for muley buck tags. I went out there a couple years ago and got a nice little fork horn and it was the best tasting deer I've ever had. I'm wanting to go for elk one of these days. We all should know something next month. Hopefully it'll be good news for all

Here's the draw publication dates for any of you guys who aren't sure when.

Species Planned Post Date

Pronghorn May 27
Elk June 9
Deer June 11
Leftover Elk July 23
Leftover Deer July 23
Fall Turkey July 28

And, heres the page to go to to check when they are posted:

Link

why the heck do they make us wait so long?

Remember the good ol days when you could buy an OTC buck or cow elk tag?

I put in for two Derr tags a ML and a hair tag season in the valleythat last for six months, no Elk. I am not that ambitious anymore.I will stick to Deer and Squirrels, not as much work.Good luck to all on their draws this year.

Put in for a muzzleloader elk and centerfire mule deer buck and 600 series doe tag.
Application deadline and tag draw in Oregon have been extended due to the annual computer crash as everybody puts in for tags at the last minute. Won't have draw results until 1 July now.

Yes, I also remember when there was a 'Sportsman License'. $25 included small game, deer, bear, lion, elk, and fishing. Good old days when the elk season was by itself and was long enough we thought we were on safari. But then the General Assembly wants more money.

Good luck on your draws Bill, I have one point for each one I applied for hope that is enough? Start thinking like an Elk or Deer so you are ready come fall :wink:

tg said:
Good luck on your draws Bill, I have one point for each one I applied for hope that is enough? Start thinking like an Elk or Deer so you are ready come fall :wink:

Got one point for the muzzleloader elk (antlerless) so...? The mule deer buck draw is a gimme as its always underscribed (private land). Probably won't get the doe tag. Same area as the buck tag with the same private land issues but it's always a low percentage manure shoot, probably because the tag numbers are so limitted.

I put in for another point. Will buy an over the counter archery tag for Elk. Larry Wv

why the heck do they make us wait so long?

Remember the good ol days when you could buy an OTC buck or cow elk tag?

I know it's just a rhetorical question on your part, but the actual answer to question number one is that they don't set the license quotas until late april or early may. It's because they need to assess the herd conditions and the overall populations. I think the commission meeting to set quotas was just held about three weeks ago. Notice that the sheep and goat tag results come up much earlier! That's because hunters and outfitters complained that they did not have enough time to plan and book hunts when the draw results came out in June.

And, yes I sure do remember the days of buying the OTC deer tags!! I can even remember after killing my buck being allowed to go to town and buy a doe tag for another five bucks. Actually, in many areas you could do that twice! :shocked2:

You can still buy a cow tag for the units that allow "additional" tags once the left over list is published. Been doing that for about six years now.

Good luck to you in this year's endeavors!

This might sound silly but I'm from out of state. Why is 4th season Rifle for Elk a limited draw in Colorado?

marmotslayer said:
Me too. I had one point so it's almost a shoe in for me for a statewide bull.

Results will be posted very soon on the DOW site.
It's all cows and does for my wife and I, shoulden't have a hard time getting thos.
:thumbsup:

Sometimes I'd almost rather have a cow or doe tag. For me it's more about the hunt and the meat, but. . . . . then there's always that bit of allure of the bulls. :)

My deer tag will be archery either sex so unless a buck falls into my lap right quick it may as well be a doe tag. :haha:

Antelope is up! No Colorado antelope for me but two other family members drew doe tags and one is still unknown. There's always Wyoming!! :)

This might sound silly but I'm from out of state. Why is 4th season Rifle for Elk a limited draw in Colorado?

Don't know the answer to that, Wink. First season elk only is also a draw only. If you don't draw a ml season tag for some reason, there are usually quite a few left over cow tags for the first season (second week end in October). Not a whole lot of pressure since many hunters want the deer/elk combined hunts. Especially out of staters. Matter of fact, the pressure in that first elk only season is less than the ml/bow season structure and most guys seem to go home on Sunday afternoon to boot! One reason is a lot of tags are filled by then! :shocked2:

Cool,
I got eleven bull points and seven buck points.
When I have a fall I can take off completly I'm gonna fill my wall hanger tags and go back to cows and does.
:haha:

Geez, your close to hunting just about any unit you want too!!! :shocked2:

I'm all done "collecting" points for antelope (got one this year but not "collecting"). I got a nice B&C buck and a few other smaller ones too so now it's all about meat and I love antelope on the table.

Still collecting points and weight for Sheep. Guess it's going to take a few more years. Hope my kids and grand kids are up to pushing me in a wheel chair into sheep country. :rotf:

Where are you putting in for sheep?
I guided a pritty nice Ram three years ago in Taylor park.
If your looking in my neck of the woods let me know I'll send you to some really good glassing areas.
:thumbsup:

Back