• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Elk Tags

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
down here in the sange de cristos we have mountain sheep out the butt. I dont know if they offer tags down here in unit 85 for them. If they do, it would be like shooting ducks out of a pond.

Where are you putting in for sheep?
I guided a pritty nice Ram three years ago in Taylor park.
If your looking in my neck of the woods let me know I'll send you to some really good glassing areas.

This year I put in for S3 but no cigar. Taylor park looks like it would be in S54? I'll look at the stats on that next year. Might be shouting out for those glassing areas! :)

KWindage, S9 runs the down the backbone of the Sangre de Cristos to just south of the dunes. Lotsa sheep in there. It's a heart attack waiting to happen! :haha: S65 and S51 pretty much take in the Big game unit 85.

marmotslayer said:
Where are you putting in for sheep?
I guided a pritty nice Ram three years ago in Taylor park.
If your looking in my neck of the woods let me know I'll send you to some really good glassing areas.

This year I put in for S3 but no cigar. Taylor park looks like it would be in S54? I'll look at the stats on that next year. Might be shouting out for those glassing areas! :)

KWindage, S9 runs the down the backbone of the Sangre de Cristos to just south of the dunes. Lotsa sheep in there. It's a heart attack waiting to happen! :haha: S65 and S51 pretty much take in the Big game unit 85.

Hay Marmoteslayer,
The boss called and said I may have to guide a sheep hunt this fall so I got up super early on Sun and before going pike fishing I hiked up to a spot that is a spring migration area for sheep going to the high country.
Around dawn I got into what was left of a batchlor herd that mostly died out two winters ago.
I have been watching this herd for quite a few years.
two years ago it numbered in 15 to 20 now it's down to 6 or so.
Last spring and this spring we found a ton of sheep skulls.
The biggest ram is not bad but I like to waite and find a bigger one that is more "broomed out"

DSCF4103.jpg

DSCF4110.jpg

GMBoy,

Nice looking ram. I agree, he needs to grow a bit. His body does not have the bulk of a really mature ram. A couple more years and he'll be a nice ram. Do me a favor and keep your hunters away from him for a few years! :haha:

will do,
I actually have a ram I have been watching that comes over from Salida and hangs out in our high country all summer.
HE IS A WOPPER!!
Fully broomed with softball size tips, full curl and nutts down to his knees.
Prabably steril and a non breeder.
I have never seen him with another sheep and his summer pasture is about a 40 acre medow at 13,000 ft, he never leaves it until late sept.

Now that's plumb interesting! I've hunted elk around Ouray peak (literally "around" :) ) and we never saw a sheep or goat. :confused: Maybe they all head to your side of the hill.

They come over the opsostle peakes and drop into Texas creek

Interesting! I get over to Gunny more lately and that might make for an interesting scout, tag or no tag.

Drew my deer tag. Not public yet but there is a "back door" way of checking on the net for any CO draw result that has been done but not posted yet.

Go to the "buy license online" link and start right in like you are going to buy or apply for a license. When you get to the page that lists the various game animals, go to the bottom of the page and click on "purchase big game and turkey"

The next page lets you select a year. Select 2009.

on the next page, scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see in very large print a list of licenses. You should see your deer tag listed followed by "APP" for application. If you see the same license and year etc listed without the "APP" at the end, then you drew. Otherwise, you did not.

marmotslayer said:
They come over the opsostle peakes and drop into Texas creek

Interesting! I get over to Gunny more lately and that might make for an interesting scout, tag or no tag.

Drew my deer tag. Not public yet but there is a "back door" way of checking on the net for any CO draw result that has been done but not posted yet.

Go to the "buy license online" link and start right in like you are going to buy or apply for a license. When you get to the page that lists the various game animals, go to the bottom of the page and click on "purchase big game and turkey"

The next page lets you select a year. Select 2009.

on the next page, scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see in very large print a list of licenses. You should see your deer tag listed followed by "APP" for application. If you see the same license and year etc listed without the "APP" at the end, then you drew. Otherwise, you did not.

Sweet,
Thanks for the info.
Let me know when you can make it over and I take ya glassing.
I got a herd of thirteen or so Goats I have been watching for years.
Most glassing areas we can jeep to than maby a bit of hiking but nothing butt kicking.
Do you know the beginning of Texas creek?
45 min east is Waterloo that bench is where I see that Ram.
I didn't glass for him last fall but want to go find him, Am hoping he survived last winter if he stayed on our side.
I can't figure why he wouldn't head over to the banana belt of Buena Vista.
:thumbsup:

Back