• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Emmerts Lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighole

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello,

I made some Emmerts lube with the std formula 50-40-10 beeswax, Crisco & canola and when it cooled the outer surface had alot more of the wax on it than Crisco and trying to use it was lumpy.

I even tried stirring it while it was still soft and warm but the final product always seems to be lumpy with the outer shell. I finally just used a fork and mashed it all like potatoes but that was alot of work.

Anyone have a process that blends the materials together better?

Thanks!!

That's a lot of beeswax. This will be a very stiff lube. The slower it hardens the more oil seeps out before it gets trapped. Try placing it in the freezer as soon as you transfer it. I use 8-2-1 (73%/18%/9%) castor oil, beeswax and oil soap in mine, and it's still as solid as dried peanut butter after it sits a month. :hmm: I froth mine up with a fork to trap air and get a good final mix and that helps, too.

You sure you have the ratios correct?

Got it from several places and that's the formula.

http://www.bulletlubes.com/
From the Hoch custom bullet moulds catalog:
- Buck Emmert’s Lube Formula (makes 1/2 lb. of lube)
1750 grains of processed beeswax*
1368 grains of Crisco shortening (White -- do not use butter flavor)
328 grains of Crisco oil (100% soybean) or Wesson vegetable oil

This is .25 lb beeswax .20 Crisco .06 oil

http://www.bpcr.net/BPCR_lubes.htm
"Emmerts" - provided by Ken Hurst

This is an old lube but still has a following and has never failed me when using it for Black Powder. I understand it can be used for smokeless if you are using low-pressure loads.

50% bees wax
40% Crisco or lard
10% canola oil

Gotcha. I misunderstood. That's a hard lube for the grooves in conicals and needs be stiff. Add a teaspoon of Murphy's oil soap once it's all melted. That will help bind the oils and encapsulate them in the mixture.

I reheated my lube and added the Murphy's oil soap. It did mix everything better.

Will the Murphy's oil soap affect the fouling?

I'm wondering why there's no mention of this problem or the use of something to bind the ingredients together better as this Emmerts lube formula has been around a long time.

Stumpkiller:

Can you add some graphite to the mix? Harry pope used graphite in his mixture.

Thanks.
Olie

That sounds like a good move for improvement.

I am not that hep on grooved conical lubes, but have heard that a little shaved Ivory soap added to the lube make for a much smoother consistency and prevents separation of components.

Your mixture is about right. Remember it's going to be softer in the summer and harder in the winter, so mix accordingly.

Just so I don't have to remix mine for summer use I apply the lumpy stuff to one side of my patch strip and then nuke it for 15 seconds and it spreads out nice and even. If I think there is too much, I will press it between two sheets of paper toweling and roll a bread rolling pin over it. :hatsoff:

Back