• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Energy foot pounds, velocity

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just scrolled through this thread and noticed something. Unless I am mistaken, the original question was answered at the get go and the fellow went home. He never really asked any of that Less Filling! Tastes Great! stuff. How the heck did we end up there? (Fun reading the reparte though.). :)

Kentuckywindage said:
hanshi said:
I'll talk "ft lbs" with ya'. Just remember these figures mean absolutely ZERO when considering MLs.

Loaded up, a .50 can match a 30/30 in M.E. with either ball or conical. We're talking in (the 1700ft lbs) range. A well charged .40 easily equals a .41mag revolver with factory loads (the 800s). .36? Well, it can be loaded to factory level energies of a .357mag (the 600s). A .45 can easily leave a .44mag revolver in the dust (1200s). The .32 can beat .22mag loads from a rifle.

We could go on but there you have it; no need to continue. These figures are meaningless with muzzy guns. Just shoot and have fun!

A 3030 can kill elk at 200 yards. Can that 177gr round ball?

If its placed right, yes.
All that is required is sufficient penetration and shot placement.
But shot placement is far more difficult due to trajectory.
"Moderns" and this includes many ML shooters of today, get all hung up on energy. But the RBs killing power is based on bore size. People figured this out long before people started worrying about energy.
Blackpowder lacks the ability to produce the velocity that smokeless willand thus are, generally, range limited. Even a 45-70 with a heavy bullet at just over the speed of sound will shoot through large game at ranges far past were its easy to hit one. Run a 45 caliber 550 grain bullet with a BC of .330 through a ballistics program at 1250 or even 1350 (about what a 45-100 will generate) and look at the difference in impact point between 200 and 300 yards or 300 and 400 yards. The bullet will penetrate several FEET through a buffalo, for example, at 400 yards, more than a bullet from 300 Magnum will, but PLACING the shot is the problem the HV arm may have a point blank of near 300 yards so shots at 250 require not range compensation at all. With the HV arm its no sweat. With the blackpowder arm you better know the range beyond the loads point blank or you will over or undershoot the animal or at least the vital point.
The 50 RB has a pointblank of about 130 yards with a load making 1800-1900 fps. Shots to 150 are fairly easy IF the shooter has practiced with the rifle. Beyond this the problems increase dramatically. 10 MPH wind will produce a lot of wind drift at 100, enough that the shooter better know the hold for it. This is why comments on the RB as a hunting projectile need to be in the light of using it within its effective range.
Its the difficulty in placing the shot with a low velocity firearms is the limiting factor. The RB is about 200 yards max though it can be used at longer distances in combat, and was used to deny a spot to the enemy or even engage point targets like people at ranges to 300 yards. But few shooters shoot RB rifles at this distance and combat is not hunting. The goal is different.
For people who want to shoot animals past about 140 yards I recommend a modern HV arm.
Shooting a ML is not about how far one can kill a deer, its about being able to get within the range of a primitive weapon and making the shot from there.
I would also point out that in the early days of the HV smokeless arms that often used bullets that had poor expansion characteristics and lacked killing power compared the lead bullet BP arms in use. This is documented in a 1930s Western Cartridge Co. booklet.
Is energy completely meaningless. No. It indicates what level of work a projectile can be expected to do. But it favors high velocity projectiles. A round ball placed right, within its range, kills as well as anything, its also produces less meat loss often FAR less meat loss. Also energy expended on the hillside beyond the animal is meaningless to this discussion. Since the RB generally passes through a deer on a broadside shot it also has excess energy. Now is passing through it may actually do more damage with identical bullet placement and track through the target than a ball that stays in, but this will not necessarily produce a faster kill though I prefer pass through on broadside shots

Dan

RedFeather said:
Just scrolled through this thread and noticed something. Unless I am mistaken, the original question was answered at the get go and the fellow went home. He never really asked any of that Less Filling! Tastes Great! stuff. How the heck did we end up there? (Fun reading the reparte though.). :)

Question? What question?

According to Lyman/Fadala Manual.

Rifle 28 inch barrel 1:48 twist

.490 ball 70 grains FF Goex at 100 yards 951fps/355ft/lbs. 80 grains 980fps 378 ft/lbs. At 50 yards you could probably expect to have 200 to 300 feet per seconds more velocity and about 100 more ft/lbs of energy. The only way to be sure though is to set up a chronograph at that distance and hope you don't shoot the chronograph. The Lyman handbook is a handy resource but doesn't answer every question and my estimates are pure speculation.

Don

This muzzle loading stuff just seems way too complexcated for me. :shocked2: I don't think I am going to get involved with it.
I'm taking up something simple, like developing perfect conductivity and nuclear fusion. :wink:

Let's not all get backed into corners, higher velocity is better, a PRB will expand more and the bigger ball cuts a larger wound channel and kills better. What you can't do is replicate the massive shock damage you can obtain with a modern cartridge like a 30-06 that creates far more damage than just the path of the bullet/ball.
I read a lot about the mountain men. One guy shot 20 balls into a buffalo while it stood looking at him. Most mountain men that crawled up to buffalo wrote about crawling to within "hunting range" which was 100 yards or less. These guys were hunters for a fur trapping party of say 60-70 guys and the hunters shot game about every day to keep everyone well fed. In any event most of them figured 100 yards or less was the capability of a muzzle loading rifle.
The other thing, and maybe some of our ballistic folks could help out, is that I was told many years ago that you could only push a round ball so fast, more powder would increase velocity but there was a deminishing return on it. That's why a larger ball was used for larger game, you just couldn't add lots more powder and make a high velocity arm from a muzzle loader. A bigger ball made a bigger wound.
In any event I would like to think that we can at least all agree that How a PRB kills game is different than the modern high velocity cartridge; and, the formula for foot pounds of energy is highly influenced by velocity.

crockett said:
Let's not all get backed into corners, higher velocity is better, a PRB will expand more and the bigger ball cuts a larger wound channel and kills better. What you can't do is replicate the massive shock damage you can obtain with a modern cartridge like a 30-06 that creates far more damage than just the path of the bullet/ball.
I read a lot about the mountain men. One guy shot 20 balls into a buffalo while it stood looking at him. Most mountain men that crawled up to buffalo wrote about crawling to within "hunting range" which was 100 yards or less. These guys were hunters for a fur trapping party of say 60-70 guys and the hunters shot game about every day to keep everyone well fed. In any event most of them figured 100 yards or less was the capability of a muzzle loading rifle.
The other thing, and maybe some of our ballistic folks could help out, is that I was told many years ago that you could only push a round ball so fast, more powder would increase velocity but there was a deminishing return on it. That's why a larger ball was used for larger game, you just couldn't add lots more powder and make a high velocity arm from a muzzle loader. A bigger ball made a bigger wound.
In any event I would like to think that we can at least all agree that How a PRB kills game is different than the modern high velocity cartridge; and, the formula for foot pounds of energy is highly influenced by velocity.

Blackpowder is limited to about 2000 fps and perhaps less in larger RB calibers. As a result the terminal performance is based more on bullet caliber than "energy". The 30-06, for example will maintain velocities higher than BP will generate to 300 yards or more. This high velocity, with a proper bullet makes for a very effective hunting cartridge. But the real advantage is in the trajectory and retained energy of the streamlined bullets. If the velocity is reduced to the 1000 fps +- that a 180 gr RB retains at 100 yards the 30-06 would be a very poor proposition. Something like a 32-20 or worse.
As a result and as you indicate trying to make comparisons between BP arms and modern HV cartridges in really difficult.

Dan

Yeah, I'm a member of the "want more power, go bigger" club. And I'm always amazed at the damage that a, well, let's say .50 prb can produce. I once shot a deer with a .50 CVA at about 25 yards. It was a mostly broadside shot. the ball took out the better part of the lungs and draped the hunk of tissue over a pine tree limb. The deer took 3 or 4 leaps and went down. I can't see how in the world it stayed on its feet. Never had that happen with ANY cf.

Right outa high school I would hit the boonies with the "Kentucky", a bag of rice and little else (which means every trip found me hauling more essentials :) ). Seeing the damage a .44 round ball does with a poorly placed shot will make you go WOW. Especially when it used to be something you wanted to flavor up the rice with.

hanshi said:
Energy is a tool used by the projectile to penetrate deeply enough to become terminally fatal. This can be very important with smaller cf arms. These same energy figures are NOT IMPORTANT with traditional MLs and their prbs or conicals. You can't get 2500ftlbs or 3000ftlbs out of a .50 or .54 and still be safe holding the thing. Easy to do with cf.

Energy is not a tool!It is produced by the bullet when velocity is applied.

hanshi said:
What causes prb or even conicals to kill, say, deer? Well, velocity - it has to reach the deer and have enough speed to penetrate), mass - within reason the bigger the better

Are you aware that the formula for foot pounds of energy is.

Mass x velocity x velocity divided by 450240.

So you ask above what causes a PRB or a Conical to kill? you spell it out above, it is Foot Pounds of energy. Thanks for finally seeing my side. Ron

Numbers don't mean much in a practical hunting context. There are only two factors that do:

1. Bullet placement - If you can't hit a vital area, all you do is wound the animal.

2. Bullet penetration - Unless the bullet reaches a vital organ (brain, heart, spinal column, etc.) beneath the skin, you get the same results as #1.

There are a number of formulas for predicting "Knockdown," "Incapacitation," etc. But none of them works unless you hit the right area and penetrate to destroy a vital organ.

Interesting story about Josef Stalin's private executioner, who held the rank of General in the Red Army, answering only to Stalin. He was a busy man in the 1930s and 40s, single-handedly killing many thousands of those who Stalin considered inconvenient or dangerous by shooting them in the head with a Walther .25 automatic (he kept a briefcase full of them with him at all times). I think that story illustrates the importance of bullet placement and penetration.

Either get rid of that cat or start locking up your Wheaties. No I don't agree with you; mostly because I have no idea what you're trying to say. This thread started off with a question wondering if someone would mention energy figures. I answered by providing various energy figures for round ball rifles and compared these figures with modern cartridges. My post was to the member who asked the question and to no one else.

You turned the thread into a battlefield and I want no part of it. Go take your meds, hang out with some guys who can help you learn something and find something else to twist and blast. I'm out of this thread; it's yours. Bring on your cannons. :surrender:

Idaho- thanks for posting the formula- I have it tucked away in a book by Jack O'Connor- The Hunting Rifle- but I just didn't drag it out. In any event the velocity x velocity certainly makes a high velocity round end up with a much better foot pounds of energy rating.
Not to repeat myself but...I'm still of an opinion that different bullets kill in different ways. The little pipsqueak assasin bullets like a 32 ACP or 25ACP. Usually those are used with a head shot. When used at point blank range they work- but they don't work for much else. On the high velocity rounds (30-06+) the massive shock will create a lot of blood spoiled meat- maybe 4" wide- certainly more than the path of the bullet.
On the slower moving muzzle loaded ball- I wonder if the pure lead aspect makes it better than figures would otherwise suggest. As I understand the history of things once velocities started moving beyond say a 30-30 range an all lead bullet could foul badly and come apart- the jacketing held the bullet together but as far as bullets themselves- nothing beats an all lead- more weight/density, soft and expands- etc AT MODERATE VELOCITIES, so the PRB may work better than imaged simply because it is soft lead.
To me there are so many unknowns that I settled on this idea of just trying to find out what others have used and how it works. I admit it isn't a very scientic method.
For example lots of folks hunt elk and use a 50 or 54 PRB and shoot at 100 yards or less and a broadside shot through the ribs and both lungs seems to adequately kill elk. I haven't read much on the same load for a shoulder shot but it would seem to me that such a shot might be questionable.
Let's say I wanted to hunt moose. If a lot of guys said they didn't have good luck with a 50 or 54 and you really needed a 58 caliber or better, then I'd sort of go with that.

No, sorry, ducks' heads are just too small to hit with a 32. :idunno:
But, as concerns this great debate, the only difference between round ball and elongated ball is that the latter is more difficult to speed up and to slow down. Other than that they does the same thing in the same way.

Your so confused that you don't even know what you said :youcrazy: :youcrazy: :youcrazy:
That's ok most of the time when a PRB boy faces reality they say someone else is in need of meds. You might want to tell the guy in the mirror. Ron

Actually that formula changes a little when the projectile is changed. 450240 is not set in stone.
Ron

Thanks- I didn't know that. My "main" mistake in the foot pounds enery is that I tend to consider the rating at the muzzle rather than what's happening (as far as velocity) at the intended range.

crockett said:
Idaho- thanks for posting the formula- I have it tucked away in a book by Jack O'Connor- The Hunting Rifle- but I just didn't drag it out. In any event the velocity x velocity certainly makes a high velocity round end up with a much better foot pounds of energy rating.
Not to repeat myself but...I'm still of an opinion that different bullets kill in different ways. The little pipsqueak assasin bullets like a 32 ACP or 25ACP. Usually those are used with a head shot. When used at point blank range they work- but they don't work for much else. On the high velocity rounds (30-06+) the massive shock will create a lot of blood spoiled meat- maybe 4" wide- certainly more than the path of the bullet.
On the slower moving muzzle loaded ball- I wonder if the pure lead aspect makes it better than figures would otherwise suggest. As I understand the history of things once velocities started moving beyond say a 30-30 range an all lead bullet could foul badly and come apart- the jacketing held the bullet together but as far as bullets themselves- nothing beats an all lead- more weight/density, soft and expands- etc AT MODERATE VELOCITIES, so the PRB may work better than imaged simply because it is soft lead.
To me there are so many unknowns that I settled on this idea of just trying to find out what others have used and how it works. I admit it isn't a very scientic method.
For example lots of folks hunt elk and use a 50 or 54 PRB and shoot at 100 yards or less and a broadside shot through the ribs and both lungs seems to adequately kill elk. I haven't read much on the same load for a shoulder shot but it would seem to me that such a shot might be questionable.
Let's say I wanted to hunt moose. If a lot of guys said they didn't have good luck with a 50 or 54 and you really needed a 58 caliber or better, then I'd sort of go with that.

Possibility of hitting a big bone like the Humerus is what makes the 54 less than ideal. But I have killed a large cow in which the RB at about 80 yards shattered the humerus the RB tracked straight afterwards and got the aorta about an inch from the heart. Elk went down, got up eventually but only made maybe 60 yards downhill before piling up.
If bullets are used in too slow a twist or do not have a good nose shape there can be problems with this striking heavy bone as well.
I have shot and seen shot Elk with RBs, BPCR Bullets and modern firearms like the 30-06.
ALL will kill elk reliably so long as the shot is placed right. None of these are magic and any given elk may run a long way or even a very long way if hit wrong.
For example I shot a cow with a 40-90-380 with a blunt PP bullet at 175 yards bullet passing just over the heart. While she did not make any distance she would not fall over and took 3 more heavy hits with no reaction what-so-ever till she finally took a step and collapsed.
We need to remember that small rifles, like the 25-20 have killed quite a number of elk and not with head shots either. But PLACING the shot trumps power every time so long as penetration is sufficient.
I hunt with the round ball because all claims to the contrary its the traditional hunting projectile for ML hunting rifles both in America and elsewhere. The bullets work fine but the higher pressure would be a deficit for anyone away from sources of supply and in the 19th c context, horse back the bullet not staying on the powder is a real problem. But moderns have convinced themselves that the RB does not work. Much of this is based on the writings of gun writers who either had no idea or were essentially PAID to promote a certain bullet.
Shooting a 400 grain bullet, for example, from a 54 still is not the equal of the RB of similar weight in killing power at NORMAL ML HUNTING RANGES. This is repeatedly commented on from the time they were first tried to todays experiences.
The RB always works. It seldom fails to track straight and it always penetrates sufficiently to kill.

Meat loss is possible at cast bullet velocities with deep hollowpoints like the Gould and many HV arms in the 2600-2800 MV range are pretty meat friendly with well constructed bullets.
Dan

I do not understand what reality us prb boys are sposed to face.No one can argue that a prb is equal to a conical and certianly not equal to a cfr.An arrow hits with about 100 fp,about the same as a boxers punch.An arrow kills, a boxers punch would be unlikly to kill.Apples ornges. Killing is done with something more then ftp alone.In fact the bullet leaves the muzzle with the same energy pushed in to the breech plug.A .45.50.54 cal round ball will kill out to 100 yards any deer, in america.Right shot,right placement will kill out to longer range.Yet the shooter isnt killed by that energy,Its been displaced by the wt of the gun,the size of the buttplate the strength of the arms holding the gun.A big .50 browning round will kill a deer a mile away,and your welcome to hunt with it,then you could ask what those 30-06 boys dont get about how much better a big .50 is then their puny guns.As long as a round ball kills in the range I aim to use it I can see no advantage to going to bigger heavier conical.It wont kill any better.If you have a conial style rifle,shoot a conical in it, If you have a rb style rifle shoot a prb in it.As all the math and formulas aside prbs kill just as well,and no argument can be made against them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back