• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Enfield Shooters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone know the twist rate for a 2 band
ArmiSport Enfield? I has the sliding type of rear sight graduated to 800 yds......I would assume it to have a fast twist instead of 1:66 ????
would this be correct?

Check and see. Runa tight fitting oiled patch down the barrel with a rod. Mark the rod at the muzzle in line with the front site. Slowly pull rod out letting it turn with the rifling for 1/4 turn. Measure from the muzzle to the mark and then multiply that number by 4 for the twist rate. ie If you get 12" then 12x4= a 1-48" twist.

Reb....I dont have the gun in my hands yet..its still at an online auction....The seller says its a 1:66 but that dont sound correct to me since it has a 800 yd sight?

Hello Scalper
Current italien réplicas of two band have 1/66 or 1/72 rifling with 3grooves , il you search a faster twist , ask for an italian barreled with a P.H. barrel , they are 1//48 twist and 5 progressive deepth rifled .

thanks..since I want to shoot minnies I guess I will have to find a Parker Hale.....but I heard alost of them have machine marks in the barrels..

I haven't found any "machine marks" in the barrels of my three Parker Hale guns except for the rifling that is supposed to be there. :grin:

My PH's are the Musketoon, 2 band and 3 band but, they were all made in England. Perhaps the newer Italian PH's have some unwanted marks?

The slower twists are proper for minies, the original Springfield rifle muskets were slow twist, and they were designed for minies. The best custom rifle musket barrels made,like Hoyt and Whitaker, are slow twist and they are the most popular barrels made for minie shooting.

Just checked my old Parker-Hale 3 bander, and the bore doen't have any chatter marks at all. The rifle is a very early one and I've used it a lot, but it was always smooth.

Correct twist for the P.53 (or three band) is 1 in 78. The P.56 (two band) had 1 in 78 twist. Other two-banders (P.58, P.60 and P.61) had 1 in 48 twist.

I don't know what Armi Sport uses.

The Parker-Hale barrels were hammer forged.

David

Scalper,

The current ArmiSport catalog specs for all of the Enfields is 1 in 1660mm, which translates to 1 in 66". There is no option listed to get a 1 in 48" barrel. I am also trying to make a decision between the ArmiSport and a EuroArms 2 band Enfield. The prices are about the same, just don't know which is the better maker. A James River or Pedersoli would be nice, but a whole lot more money.

[url] http://www.armisport.com/eng/menuAS.asp[/url]

Merry Christmas

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a nice Parker Hale on one of the auction sites yesterday...starting at $500 I think..
yes....herehttp://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=87915861
Rust speckled....

I'm happy with my ArmiSport which is 30 years old now. I did have to do some filing on the rear sight to get the windage right.

The great accuracy of Hoyt and Whitacre barrels is coming from the progressive deepth of the rifling like the P60 or the PH ,not from the 3 or 5 rifling.
Theses fabulous barrels :thumbsup: are unfortunatly ,not exported in Europe :surrender:

Got a 2008 Dixie catlog the other day and Dixie doesnt play that up on the barrels they use now it was a big selling thing years ago when I got mine, belive Euro did use the swaged PH barrels also or could of changed too. Fred :hatsoff:

fw said:
Got a 2008 Dixie catlog the other day and Dixie doesnt play that up on the barrels they use now it was a big selling thing years ago when I got mine, belive Euro did use the swaged PH barrels also or could of changed too. Fred :hatsoff:

Not swaged, sir, hammer-forged over a travelling mandrel. The barrel starts off as a cylinder of steel about 20 inches long and almost 3" in diameter with a starting hole at one end - this fits on the mandrel that is the shape of the finished rifling. A button is pressed, and a hydraulic ram pushes the cylinder over the mandrel while at the same time a set of rotating hammers beats the almighty bejazus out of it, forming it around the hexagonal mandrel, and squeezing the cylinder into a more barrel-shaped form.

After the process is over, the now VERY hot barrel is removed from the hammer-forging machine, and then taper-machined to the correct contour, in the process of which the typical 'barley-twist' finish produced by the hammer-forging process is removed. This finish is left on by Steyr, BTW. The breech plug is fitted, as are the sights, and it is ready for setting up.

tac

Scalper

If you decide to shoot mini balls in a civil war Musket make sure you buy a mini mold that is heavy. Many that are sold are to light for the musket design. I have found that for a .577 or .580 Civil War musket you need a mini ball weight of 500 to 550 grains to match the point of aim of the sights. NSSA mini balls molds are adjustable for the weight of the bullet. Some people adjust the weight of the bullet to make the skirt thicker and others to make the bullet heaver or lighter to adjust point of aim for a given powder charge. Typical Federal Civil War paper cartridges held 65 grains of FFg powder and a 530 grain three banded mini ball. I would start with a load in that neighborhood. Get good with this load and then experiment with other loads.

I am shooting Patched Round Ball out of my Enfield and the sights are not designed for the light balls. They shoot high. I am going to have to change the front sight to fix the problem. Patched balls do shoot flatter and I believe are more accurate over the range of 25-100 yards because height correction in neglible.

I would recommend you start with mini balls and later you can experiment with maxi balls, REAL bullets, Sabbots, Ballettes and patched round ball.

I understand all of that, but thanks for putting it up for those that dont, I just thought it should be pointed out that it was in big letters in older catlogs ect and nothing about it is said now. More like Beware ya get what yo pay for most times. Thunderchild thanks for that info, I dont know that the "target" mins are any good have you tryed those or are they a gimick? I do have to use a fine aim with the sights in the short Enfield when useing a PRB but it shoots really good with a very tight patch and 70 grs on up. Fred :hatsoff:

Back