• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

English or irish spouts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Wittkopf

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a double barrel 12ga., now i am going to purchase a shot flask or snake, probably from TOTW. Never had one before and cant deciede which one, the engish or irish measure, any comments on either?

I really like the Irish heads. I like being able to fill the bore from the seperated head, and not have to hold the whole flask over the muzzle. You do have to be careful to get the head back in all the way until it clicks in place so you don't loose it. That is what i use with my double barrel. Have used it for years now and have no complaints.

That is the one I like also. I like the measurement being adjustable, you can see what you are pouring in &e tc. Mine has held up really well too. :front:

I really like the Irish heads. I like being able to fill the bore from the seperated head, and not have to hold the whole flask over the muzzle. You do have to be careful to get the head back in all the way until it clicks in place so you don't loose it. That is what i use with my double barrel. Have used it for years now and have no complaints.

My thoughts exactly. My shot pouch with Irish head is made by Pedersoli.

Ok, I am the odd ball. I can't imagine not using an English head. I guess I have used these too long to change my ways. I tried a snake (have several), I like the flask/shot pouch much better. I think you will only really know by trying what works for you.

Dave,

How do you keep from bumping the gate lever and dumping out your shot? I hate that hard rain sound. Seems like a flaw in the concept.

On the other hand, I use a spout of flared copper tubing and a rasped and scraped wooden stopper, so what do I know?

CS

One of the things I didn't like about the snake was it is lying across my chest and when I shoulder a gun I can bump it and scratch my stock. So I use a flask and when it goes in the pocket or shooting bag I just always place them spout. It prevents what you are talking of and also it slides in quicker and withdraws quicker. I know it is not PC but a turkey hunting vest is almost perfect for hunting with a ml'ing shotgun. Plenty of pockets. For me, powder flask and cushions in the right side pockets. Left side pockets hold shot pouch and over shot cards. As you return flask/pouch to your pocket, you grab the cushion or card you need. Capper hangs around neck or the primer does. You can reload fast this way, once you learn it.

Back