• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Entered the Flintlock fraternity

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodRabbitPilgrim

Do Not Live in America
Reaction score
After doing a few practice shots last week I was keen to take it for a hunt. Managed to sneak into 20 yards of this hare and managed to take my first flintlock kill on my first flintlock outing!

Thanks to all that have given me advice along the way.

One thing of note, when stalking no matter how I held it I noticed that the priming powder migrated toward the flash hole. At the shot there was a bit of a fuse thing going on. Not sure how to remedy that?

20211107_194334.jpg

20211107_194859.jpg

Congratulations.

powder migrated toward the flash hole. At the shot there was a bit of a fuse thing going on. Not sure how to remedy that?
I just give the gun a quick flip to the lock side, essentially tossing the priming powder away from the lock, just before lining up my shot. I don't always do this and usually when I don't it doesn't matter, my thoughts are that when not doing leads to a delay, I have too much priming powder.

I did give it a tap, but the few grains hanging around the flash hole wouldn't budge. I could flick them out easily with grass so there wasn't any oil or anything is the way. I think it's just another one of those trial and error things.

I did give it a tap, but the few grains hanging around the flash hole wouldn't budge. I could flick them out easily with grass so there wasn't any oil or anything is the way. I think it's just another one of those trial and error things.

The graphite on the store bought powder will make it a little sticky.

So, the graphite, that gers used as a lubricant for many things,,,,, makes the powder sticky?

I know the clocks just got changed but I didn't realize I'd entered an alternate universe.

Sorry Broke your superior intelligence just overshadows my useless point as to why flakes of powder adhere to metal.

Sorry Broke your superior intelligence just overshadows my useless point as to why flakes of powder adhere to metal.
I apologize for my sarcasm.
Please explain how the graphite makes the powder sticky.
As a kid in Boy Scouts we used graphite to lubricate the axels and wheels of our pinewood derby cars.
Later on in life some of us (not exactly Boy Scouts) used it to lubricate certain unmentionable weaponry.
I'm completely willing to be wrong here, if I get to learn something new.

I apologize for my sarcasm.
Please explain how the graphite makes the powder sticky.
As a kid in Boy Scouts we used graphite to lubricate the axels and wheels of our pinewood derby cars.
Later on in life some of us (not exactly Boy Scouts) used it to lubricate certain unmentionable weaponry.
I'm completely willing to be wrong here, if I get to learn something new.

Makes sense to me, any little thing that creates tension could hold up the powder a little I suppose. I did as you said prior to heading out and used an alcohol wipe on the pan, hammer and flint. My pan is very textured though, might need to polish it up a bit.

strange, i have been using graphite for 5 decades to stop my homebrew BP from clumping. nothing about graphite is "sticky".
also i have never seen a flake of BP. something new perhaps?
what will cause grains of any powder to stick to the side of the barrel and the vent liner is the moisture created during firing.

strange, i have been using graphite for 5 decades to stop my homebrew BP from clumping. nothing about graphite is "sticky".
also i have never seen a flake of BP. something new perhaps?
what will cause grains of any powder to stick to the side of the barrel and the vent liner is the moisture created during firing.

With all due respect, you have neither liked nor commented on this thread in regard to the topic I.e. me taking my first flintlock kill. The only contribution you've made is to jab at the other guys suggestion about graphite. I'm not interested in my threads being used as platforms for arguments or similar.

For what's it's worth, the bore and pan had been cleaned with alcohol so were dry and it was my first and only shot for the day. No moisture should have been in the equation.

Outstanding rabbit!
Had to delete my original post as I saw it was off topic.

Any kind of static and Temp swings will make powder stick to just about anything, I do the same , I give it a little bump with the side of my fists.your fine.

Back