• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Event question - how many stations for a competition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy all,

Mods if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it to the right one.

Background - as part of my duties as a member of the county board of education I serve on the board of the local parks and recreation that oversees Camp Pioneer - a large 4H camp. I have notcied that there are too many weeks where the place sits idle so I asked about doing a "Pioneer Week" where we could hold classes on primitive arms, cooking, farming, etc. Finish the weekend with a muzzleloader shoot. Surprisingly they told me to make it happen. Thus far local 4H hasn't done any shooting sports. The deadline for Friends of NRA grants is coming up. What I'd like to have up there would be a few benches for rimfire and bench firing of muzzle loaders and then on the other end targets with bullet traps so the lead can be recovered (and not wasted). I was going to shoot for 4-6 sets. Does that sound reasonable? it has to be a mobile setup because the do a lot of horse events, 4H camp, county fair etc so a permanent structure isn't in the plans. There is a lot of time in spring and fall and less in the summer. Do you think there would be interest in a fall event (in leaf peeper season)?

Appreciate any help. If there are any classes you think would be nice to have (blacksmithing, wood working etc) just let me know. I already have a local bowyer who is interested in doing classes. Could be a lot of fun.

Dr Phil

Howdy all,

Mods if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it to the right one.

Background - as part of my duties as a member of the county board of education I serve on the board of the local parks and recreation that oversees Camp Pioneer - a large 4H camp. I have notcied that there are too many weeks where the place sits idle so I asked about doing a "Pioneer Week" where we could hold classes on primitive arms, cooking, farming, etc. Finish the weekend with a muzzleloader shoot. Surprisingly they told me to make it happen. Thus far local 4H hasn't done any shooting sports. The deadline for Friends of NRA grants is coming up. What I'd like to have up there would be a few benches for rimfire and bench firing of muzzle loaders and then on the other end targets with bullet traps so the lead can be recovered (and not wasted). I was going to shoot for 4-6 sets. Does that sound reasonable? it has to be a mobile setup because the do a lot of horse events, 4H camp, county fair etc so a permanent structure isn't in the plans. There is a lot of time in spring and fall and less in the summer. Do you think there would be interest in a fall event (in leaf peeper season)?

Appreciate any help. If there are any classes you think would be nice to have (blacksmithing, wood working etc) just let me know. I already have a local bowyer who is interested in doing classes. Could be a lot of fun.

Dr Phil
A lot of possibilities! Where are you located?

A lot of possibilities! Where are you located?
Elkins, WV. Heres the camp's website. Unfortunately not many good pics but there are some long range opportunities. Previously someone nixed shooting sports due to lead concerns. I not mind mitigating lead - with bullet traps it can be recycled back into more roundballs. I have some ideas on portable bullet trap builds for lead/soft metal use only. Probably will build a prototype in a couple weeks.

https://camppioneerwv.com/

Get a hold of the West Virginia muzzleloaders association.
They will should be able to help you out with your questions suggestions on equipment etc

I will also suggest the West Virginia trappers association.

Back