• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ever use TC Maxi Ball or other??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Happyhunter! I've used the buffalo bullets and the hornady great plains bullets in my .50 and .54 t/c hawkens with decent accuracy, and they kill deer. I didn't have great accuracy with the t/c maxi's or minnie's. Off the bench both hornady and buffalo bullets would shoot about 3inch groups at 100 yards. Hope this helps some. later slaphappy

I have a .50 CVA St. Louis Hawken with 1/48" twist that likes T/C 350 grain maxi-hunters. I've killed probably 20-25 deer with this combo, I've found the maxi-hunters to be really devastating on deer. I've only had to blood trail about a quarter of the ones I've shot with maxis, and there is usually a gruesome-looking blood trail. Same could be said of PRBs, or any other projectile. If you put a chunk of lead through both lungs, it's not going far regardless of the bullet.

What kind of load do you use with the 50 cva? I don't have much luck with the max-hunters. Thanks Larry Wv

larry wv said:
What kind of load do you use with the 50 cva? I don't have much luck with the max-hunters. Thanks Larry Wv

Go back to round balls, find an accurate load, and practice, practice, practice. Then you won't have any problem taking game........unless you suffer from "buck fever!" :shocked2:

I don't have any problem now. 61 years old been shot at and shot back, the USMC and vietnam cured any buck fever. Deer don't carry ak 47s around here .No white tail alive will give me buck fever. I think your advice was worth what I paid for it. Larry Wv

I have GM 1/28 barrels that just love the Hornady Great Plains bullets; the TC maxi-hunters never grouped well. The 385 grain .50 hits hard but have not used one on a whitetail yet. There is not enough seasons and tags to test everything out. Last years deer was taken with a 300 grain patched conical over 100 grains of Goex 3f at 150 yards; it went for a sled ride for about 10 feet DRT. RMC flinter .50 cal. 1/28 twist. Just like UPS. point, click and ship.

Latest posts

Back