• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

F/L ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shmrck1

Cannon
Reaction score
to all,
i have always shot percussion but after reading this
forum i have sparker fever. sometime around the first of the year i will get me one. i don't have a lot to invest
(maybe $500) and i am not interested in a kit.

your thoughts and opinions please

snake-eyes :master: :thumbsup: :master:

I too am looking to get my first spark maker. My Hawken percussion gun has a 32" barrel and I'm kind of used to a longer barrel, even if it only looks cooler. I saw some Traditions at Gander Mtn. for about $180 but the barrel's only 24". Dixie Gun Works has a Hawken .50 flinter with a 29" barrel that's only $265 for the kit. Probably the route I'll go cuz kits is fun. :imo: :thumbsup: :RO:

bdarin,
seems to me like we are looking for the same thing &
i'm sure we will get all the info we need right here!!

snake-eyes :agree: :thumbsup: :)

Most folks feel that the Lyman Great plains or the Cabelas Blue Ridge are the best production flinters for the $$$$$$$$$ while offering traditional looks to boot.

Most folks feel that the Lyman Great plains or the Cabelas Blue Ridge are the best production flinters for the $$$$$$$$$ while offering traditional looks to boot.

I agree, the general consciences leans towards the Lyman GPR, combined with good flints you will be making smoke at both ends of the barrel... :thumbsup:

I agree- the only drawback being the coil springs in the lock- probably as good or better than any other coil spring lock out there, though. Buying this rifle as a kit allows the odd stock idiocyncracy to be corrected, like at the comb. In all ways, the Lyman GPR rifle is the very best in it's price range.
: Later-on, if desired, the replacement locks from Track make this rifle an all-round, excellent gun, a rifle I would be happy with myself & I lean towards mostly custom rifles now. From me, this is quite high praise, indeed.

Evenin' Snake Eyes,
You may want to take a look at Track of the wolf web site.
Often time you can find a semi custom flinter in the $700.00-$900.00 range.
I realize this is a bit more than you want to spend, but it will be worth the extra shillings.
My first flint rifle was a Dixie gun works Pennsylvania rifle in kit form, though not a bad rifle, factory guns do not compare to a custom piece.
Tennessee Valley Manufacturing is another highly respected gun works who build well made pieces with good parts L&R Locks green mountain barrels etc. Prices are reasonable.
Whichever path you decide to follow I wish you good shooting .
Welcome to the world of sharp rocks, black powder, and white smoke :m2c:

I would have to agree with Rebel Yell. I bought a flint pistol one time and the touchole was low and almost to the rear of the pan. The lock also seemed a bit weak. It doesnt have to be fancy but I feel that a good liner and quality lock are important to provide reliable ignition. I havent seen a coil spring lock but some of these mass produced guns can lead to alot of frustration and discouragement. Dont strap yourself because this is just a hobby but be patient and check out track of the wolf often youll find the right gun for you. Good luck.

I've often thought that if I was just starting in the flint game, and I wanted to keep the cost down, I would look for a cheaply priced Lyman that has a badly rusted bore, etc,( I've seen a few) and buy a L&R replacement lock and a Green Mtn. drop in replacement barrel. You could even pick your caliber that way and you would have a better sparking lock with a V type mainspring. :m2c:

Back