• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need advice on collection of 4 unopened 1970s kits I just purchased

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CVAs were all bad? My deceased first wife won a fairly large shoot in Arizona many years ago. She used a CVA Frontier rifle shooting against high end rifles, some custom made. I still have that rifle, and my current sweetie loves it,. Different strokes for different folks. Polecat 🦨 :horseback:
Of all descriptions and adjectives for CVA rifles I believe "accurate" is one of the most often used.

Well I personally have had excellent luck with all my CVA rifles. They do what I expect. They shoot acceptable (and in a few cases outstanding) groups and have been reliable as I used them. Same with Traditions. I'm ready now, light the fire.
The CVA Mt. rifle flint .54 kit I got recently, had been partially worked on by an early owner, who did a beautiful job on the wood inletting, etc. It's very high quality, and my postings on here got replies stating the same thing; well regarded. One guy had photo of a wall rack w/ about 8 CVA perc. & flint CVA's!

The CVA Mt. rifle flint .54 kit I got recently, had been partially worked on by an early owner, who did a beautiful job on the wood inletting, etc. It's very high quality, and my postings on here got replies stating the same thing; well regarded. One guy had photo of a wall rack w/ about 8 CVA perc. & flint CVA's!
Yeah, I have nine [rifles, pistols and a revolver] and I'm 'keeping them all. Polecat 🦨

I agree with the reccos to sell them individually as unassembled kits "new-in-box". Will bring better prices than if you complete them yourself, and will also net more total than if you sell as a group.

Hi folks! Hoping for some advice on a collection of kits I just acquired. Each kit is unopened (still in original plastic shrink wrapping & Box) and contains all original literature. Here's what I got:

CVA Kentucky Rifle Kit - .45 Percussion - 1978
CVA Colonial Pistol Kit - .45 Flintlock - 1978
Classic Arms - Snake Eyes Derringer Kit - .36 percussion double barrel - 1978
Classic Arms - Twister Derringer Kit - .36 percussion double barrel - 1978

I paid a decent price for the collection as I didn't want to see these get lost to a bunch of knuckleheads who wouldn't appreciate them. Better to see them go to a bunch of knuckleheads who would appreciate them lol. Anyway ... it was kind of a sight unseen deal but knowing they were all unopened and just the way they were the day they were purchased; I made an offer. They are in perfect condition as far as the kits go, minus some minor scuffing on the outer boxes ... a new traditions on the shelf at Cabela's probably isn't in as good of condition as these appear to be. Being unopened, there's no question as to whether or not all the parts are included.

My question is this ... should I re-sell these as is, finish them myself and resell them as completed pieces, or keep the set together and sell it as a collection. If the Kentucky rifle had been in flintlock, I might have considered keeping it and sell the rest .... but I already have two hawkens (TC and Pedersoli) in percussion and don't really need another percussion gun. Ideally, If I can make a couple bucks on the investment, I'd like to put it towards a Kibler kit.

Any thoughts or advice would be welcomed and appreciated. Thank you!
You got a hellava deal.
Wish I could have run across that deal.

Most people who have or had a CVA kit it was most likely their first exposure to muzzleloading firearms. CVA products were the budget offerings that can be purchased by the masses to get their feet into a muzzleloading gun. Some were ok and some were pure poor quality. The person who wants one very well be for the nostalgia of owning what they remember way back when they first were introduced to the sport of muzzleloading guns.
Where is Walt Disney's Danial Boon or Davy Crocket when you need them? I LOVED THOSE SHOWS -- and how about ZORRO???

Well I personally have had excellent luck with all my CVA rifles. They do what I expect. They shoot acceptable (and in a few cases outstanding) groups and have been reliable as I used them. Same with Traditions. I'm ready now, light the fire.
Absolutely. I have one in the house, .50 Hawkin that was built from a kit. It’s very accurate. That ML will no doubt kill deer just as dead and just as fast as any high dollar ML. It belongs to my wife but I wouldn’t hesitate to hunt with it.

With that said, I’ve never considered CVA traditional ML’s high quality but they will darn sure shoot well. Without doubt CVA helped many of newcomers into the world of muzzleloader hunting.

Absolutely. I have one in the house, .50 Hawkin that was built from a kit. It’s very accurate. That ML will no doubt kill deer just as dead and just as fast as any high dollar ML. It belongs to my wife but I wouldn’t hesitate to hunt with it.

With that said, I’ve never considered CVA traditional ML’s high quality but they will darn sure shoot well. Without doubt CVA helped many of newcomers into the world of muzzleloader hunting.
Ed, I agree with 100%.
My CVAs have put meat on the table and endless hours of fun shooting with friends and family.
I'm glad he ran across a good deal.
I know I would have bought them.

One thing that truly matters in selling anything. You have to find the right clients. Otherwise you won't reap the most profit. In my area I doubt you would get $250 dollars for the whole lot. Everyone wants an inline. Nobody wants a custom flintlock or percussion and they certainly won't pay good money for one.
Got to sell where the interest lies. This forum will help you a lot..

Latest posts

Back