• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fall,Flintlocks ,Feathers= Fun!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJ Longbeard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I finally pulled it off this morning here in South Jersey and harvested my 1st fall turkey(a jenny), my first flintlock turkey, and it was the first turkey I harvested with the 16ga. fowler I built last year and the new longbox I just made and the slate call I made this past spring. God is so good what a hunt! I heard some soft yelping from they're roost just at daybreak so I setup about 50 yards or so from the roost and started my own soft yelping and soft clucks. Birds flew down and seem to go toward some very thick pines. I stayed put for about 30 min. or so and the woods got quiet so I decided to make a move and go about 80 yrd.s to the birds right flank and trying to get to an area I felt the birds might work to . I no sooner got set up when I heard a bird kee-kee run so I matched it note for note by kee-keeing on my longbox and mixing in some soft clucks and yelps on my slate call. The conversation went on for about 15 min. with birds coming in from my 10 o'clock and 1 o'clock positions. The birds at my 10 o'clock came in view first so I hit my longbox and made a kee-kee run and then got the gun up and ready as 3 hens made they're way into range. I picked out bird and stayed on her as they started to hang up and get a bit nervous. As the bird I was aiming at got in the clear I pulled the trigger and the smoke pole went off instantly and smoked the bird in her tracks! Could not believe how far the the shot actully was till I paced it off at 30yrds.! 16ga. 44" colerain cylinder bore barrel with 80gr. FFF OS card,1-3/4 oz. #6's I love this gun what a blessed day! Not much more gratifying then spending a beautiful fall morning in the turkey woods and being able to make it all come together with calls, bag, horn,and gunthat the Lord has bless my hands to make. Next fall hopefully I will period correct garb on somewhat like Spence would wear. Here is some pics. Hope you all enjoy Thanks for looking! Ed

100_2918.jpg

100_2925.jpg

100_2920.jpg

Congrats!!!! Turkeys with flintlocks is Heaven indeed!!

Awesome pictures!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I wish we had a fall turkey season here in NM (one that was worth a hoot anyways!)

Nice going! Great story.

I may be wrong, but that looks like a mature hen.

I remember e-mailing some when you were building the 16. Looks like an excellent job on the fowler.

I called in a group of gobblers Wednesday evening in the rain. Got one, but not with a gun I can show you on this site. It was still pretty fun.

Congratulations again.

Greg

I believe you are right Greg she is mature .Weighting 11 lbs. I guess that would put in the mature category. she being my 1st hen I have to admit I wasn't quite sure. I remember emailing during the gun build. Thanks for the info. Ed

:hatsoff:
Very nice! Congratulations.
I like the pictures - your work looks very good.

Silex

WOW -- nice. You certainly are talented and must feel great getting that turkey and you made everything from gun to calls to shooting bag. Lucky indeed......I see that shamrock on the bag... :hatsoff:

That's one fantastic hunt, and you are to be congratulated. You made it all come together, and did it right, and I predict you won't have any trouble remembering that one for as long as you live. I remember my first flintlock turkey like it was this morning, and it has been 13 years. It hooked me so bad I've never shot one with anything but a flintlock.

Thanks for sharing.

Spence

Another great turkey hunt.
great story and photo's
It is almost impossible to explain how special
it is to take a deer or turkey with a flintlock until
you actually do it. I do not think hunting can ever be
the same after that.

PJC

Latest posts

Back