• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

far from done but getting excited!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armymedic.2

45 Cal.
Reaction score
first build and just had to share, because I am pumped to be where I am, and I am open to suggestions if you see something glaringly wrong!

There will be a inlay in the wrist once my piece of silver gets here with my gravers.

photobucket-5412-1330377142837.jpg

and the lock area ( not done)
photobucket-1454-1330377198959.jpg

thanks for looking!

Look at my tutorial, it shows how to properly execute the lock panels and the lock moulding.

mike, i have been and just did again........i think i could do footnotes on your tutorial without even looking.........that does not mean however, that i understand what is wrong with my panels.

they will be defined a bit more and smoothed into the rest of the stock a touch, but i think im missing what your seeing wrong. can you elaborate?

You've carved a shallow "frame" around the lock inlet...whereas the wood surrounding the lock should be the result of a tapering from the TGuard and tang and a blending from the wrist. Study Mike's tutorial again.....Fred

armymedic.2 said:
i think im missing what your seeing wrong. can you elaborate?

Let's focus on one thing at a time. Look at the bottom of the lock panels on Mike's tutorial. The thickness of the lock panel below the lock in front of the trigger is established by 1) how deeply you decide to inlet the trigger and 2) how much you round the stock under the lock panel. There is no seperate edge.

To get the front half of the lower edge of the lock panel reduced,round the stock in front of the trigger more, right up to the flat lower edge of the lock panel. Does that make sense? If it does, carry that rounding forward into the forestock and rearward also. It's all got to blend together. I think there's a chance you could have too much wood in this gun and could inlet your trigger deeper, then cut'file the top of the trigger "blade" to just touch the sear. This could reduce bulk everywhere.

Looky here
MVC-844Fa.jpg

thanks nappers.

ok guys, i see what you are saying.

There is too much wood on this gun still- from the wrist to the forward forestock it is still thick enough to let more wood come off. The front of the forestock is at final dimension.

The lock panles are shallow carved, and i felt like they needed to be blended more. I was having trouble letting the files give me an initial profile so i carved it instead. I just couldn't get it the shape i wanted with the rat tail.

I was not planning on taking away from under the panel, but i think that advvice is spot on and will make it much more graceful. i will do that, and use it as my send off point for rounding it out.

i have already taken alot off of the trigger blade to get the rattle free crisp break i like and make it fit together. it actually doesn't move, just fires with the right amount of pressure (probably around 4-5 lbs) but i think it is still too square all around the trigger plate, and therefore can be rounded out accomplishing what im seeing in the pic above.

Thanks for the advice! I knew it was time to post up some pics before I got to thinkin I was near done.

If there is something else you see, speak up! thanks! (except the metal, I know I have to finish all of the sanding and blue/greying yet)

So far so good. I just finished my first build and I think I am hooked.

WANT SOME ADVICE FROM A NOVICE???

Have fun with it and you will enjoy building it, and shooting with it. If you torture yourself over making the gun "perfect" this won't be a fun project and will turn in to work. My Dad was a master carpenter and cabinet maker. Even he used to tell me "it is only wood, go get another piece"

BTW

what kit is it????? Fowler? Rifle?? Caliber gauge??

Thanks and keep having fun! :v

That is good advice honkey. I will keep it fun. Though woth the master craftsman we have to talk to here.........cant help but ask for help!

It is a parts kit from tvm. 20 gauge fowler.

I wwnt downstairs and rounded off one bottome panel and it lookd better immediately. Much better lines.

Can the tear drop be "carved" out or does that need tk be rasp faded too.........im thinking rasp faded........might not have enough wood for that and need to ditch them.

Keep studying my tutorial. The lock panel carving is cut in AFTER the panels themselves are shaped.
Also, unbury you barrel, way too deep in the barrel chanel. Make it so almost 2/3rds of the barrel flat is exposed.

What Honkey said. I obsessed over making my first build perfect and now I HATE this project. Almost at the point your at and I'm over it. Haven't touched the gun in weeks and don't care if I do or not. Don't do what I did and over think it. Congrats on a great job so far :thumbsup:

Listen to the experts. If you don't change it now, you'll regret it later. You'll get a lot more satisfaction when it's done if you do it right. Otherwise, you'll want to do another one to fix the problems with the first one. Think thin.

I remember reading on one thread somewhere that you should take off wood until it's scary thin, then take off some more.

Vtsmoker said:
Don't do what I did and over think it.

I'm involved in my first build. I find "thinking" about how I'll solve the challenges to get as "perfect" an end result as I can a great part of the fun!

I'm not a metal or woodworker, so this project is an extreme challenge for me, especially considering I'm not a naturally patient person. However, I'm taking a LOT of time thinking and planning every step. I re-read and study Mike's tutorial, a building book I have by Susan Warren-Bicio, and a Jim Turpin DVD. I've also gotten some great tips directly from builders on this site.

So my advice as a first-time builder, as little as it's probably worth, is to take your time, think a LOT.....AND enjoy it (and the great looking gun that will result.) :v

There are a couple ways to look at this,

you can take between $500 and $700 in parts and create a $1500 to $2500 rifle

or you can take that same set of parts and build a $250 rifle, it all boils down to the choices an individual makes.

There are some talented individuals giving you some excellent advice to help you along.... then there are others giving some other advice, its ultimately your call.

Slow down, take a break, look at some pictures, try to attend a local club shoot and handle some custom built rifles, look closely at the areas that are being described.

The hardest part I found about building was having to work thru something I screwed up or something that came to me screwed up and still have the desire to finish the project anyway, its not easy but the rewards are greater than the alternatives.

Its your call which way you end up going, good luck either way.

Here is a before and after picture of the lock panels on a pistol that I have been working on.

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_2335.jpg

will do.

yeah i have read the tutorial too many times as one, just reading the few steps im at are helping me see a bit clearer what i need to do around the lock.

I do not plan to make this a 250 fowler........

I'll be thinkin on it all day and hit it again for a bit with a new view tomorrow night.

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement and the advice.

I was just telling my wife how its amazing all the info available now with forums,.......i've built four bows with nothing but books and internet.

Its like having a chance to be a virtual apprentice!

Vtsmoker said:
What Honkey said. I obsessed over making my first build perfect and now I HATE this project. Almost at the point your at and I'm over it. Haven't touched the gun in weeks and don't care if I do or not. Don't do what I did and over think it. Congrats on a great job so far :thumbsup:

How can you hate your rifle build? i really dont understand that...

ryzman said:
Vtsmoker said:

How can you hate your rifle build? i really dont understand that...

Yup,
I built my first one in '06, I have only shot this rifle since it was completed, its as buttugly as anything there is, but I really enjoy the time I spend with it, over a 1000 rounds thru it now and starting to see some wear in the lock, I didn't know about case hardening at the time, this last weekend the rifle took 2nd overall in the flint division against 40 or so competitors. Also took 1st in the long gong competition.

Not much better satisfaction then being asked "who built your rifle" and replying "I did"

Thing is the rifles I have built since are getting better.

I'll tell ya,
I do see a problem with a first build and the internet though. Its better to buy books and read, lurk on the net but don't ask for advise. There are far to many people getting involved in the process and it really should be a more personal thing.

Everybody has a different idea of what a first project should turn out like, get thru the first one, figure out how to work thru the mistakes, but most importantly is finish the project.

I am honestly looking forward to the time when I can retire my first build, I have come along way since then.

I'll tell ya,
I do see a problem with a first build and the internet though. Its better to buy books and read, lurk on the net but don't ask for advise. There are far to many people getting involved in the process and it really should be a more personal thing.

Everybody has a different idea of what a first project should turn out like,
Sage advise,
And when you get to that "excited want to finish it point", put it down. Lay the rifle someplace away from the build area and look at it from a distance for awhle.
We can get caught up in the up close work and not see the whole project as a finished piece.

Hi Armymedic,
You are doing well but listen to those who know. Lock panels are one of the hardest areas to get right but when done badly stick out like a sore thumb. I tried to find some photos that show you what folks are saying to you. I found this one of one of my dueling pistols that may give you the idea.

duelingpistolobliquevew.jpg

Imagine cutting the stock off just behind the cock. What would the cross section look like? Then play the same mind game with your own stock. In the case of my pistol, you would see a mostly round shape flaring out gently to form the flat side panels. What would the cross section of your stock look like at that same point?

dave

Latest posts

Back