• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite conical?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edlebrock454

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity what is everyone's favorite conical out of a Lyman Great Plains Hunter in .54 caliber? I just bought one online while I'm over here in Iraq and am looking at ordering a few different brands of conicals than the same TC maxi hunter/ball that I've been using for the last ten years, any advice or opinions would be great, thanks.

First, thankyou for your service and sacrifice.

I just reread your post and saw you had the hunter barrel. For that I like the Power Belts, they are easy to load and shoot real well.

Walks with fire said:
My 1/28 twist likes the Hornady Great Plains bullet a bunch; I don't think the deer like it nearly as much as I do! :thumbsup:

That's a dandy conical in the 54. If you get tired of paying for factory bullets, the Lyman plains bullet is virtually identical, so you can cast your own for vast savings.

In my .54 T/C Hawkens with it's 1 in 48" twist barrel, I;ve been shooting the T/C Maxi-Ball 400 grains and the Lee REAL bullet 380 grains. I've heard good things about that Great Plains Bullet. Get into casting and you can save a bunch of money. Some of the bullets you can't buy, you have to cast. From one vet to another, stay safe and come home soon :hatsoff:

Use the bullet made for it. Cast your own from the Lyman Plains Bullet mold. Both the .50 and .54 work great in a variety of rifles.

I've had good luck with either the Hornady GP or Buffalo bullets in my 1-28 GM barrels.

Back off a little from the max loads as they kick like a mule. 10-20 gr less are very accurate (in my guns), tames the recoil and still ventilates a deer at 100 yds.

Mine loves the 380 grain Lee REAL's I cast. 90 grains 2F Goex and a lubed wad. I lube my REAL's with Lee Liquid Alox.

HD

In my TC 50 & 54 Hawken rifles I use the 385 gr hp, & the 390 gr hp great plains bullets. Always make sure you use a felt wad over powder and under the bullt.

Thanks for everyones input, I'm lookin around now and should have plenty of options with the bullets suggested, thanks a lot!

Thank you for your service, and god bless all of you fellas. The lee real bullets seem to be tack drivers :v

Back