• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite Hunting Caliber and Why?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree, it operates at a whole different level from the smaller calibers and it's effectiveness is not just a progressive linear step up, it's a noticeable, exponential difference...truly has "Whompability".

I do feel confident in my .58 cal. Plus, after Bob Hoyt did the rebore, it's accurate as all get out. Nothing like the damage done when that big .58 roundball hits home! It smacks them good.

Jeff

I've yet to hunt with mine, but when I first began looking I chose the .50 cal for a few reasons:

A) It seemed plenty for medium game, the bulk of what I'd likely hunt.
B) Given the chance to hunt elk or other large game I could use a conical if I found/felt a ball wasn't going to cut it.
C) There was so much more available for that caliber.

Were I to start over today I'd likely take a .54 cal though”¦ I do intend on purchasing a drop-in barrel for my Lyman rifle in that caliber one of these days.

I agree with your reasoning. A .50 cal will definitely get a long of things done, the right way! I guess that is the beauty of this hobby. While I may prefer one weapon this year, I will likely use a different one next season. I don't want them getting lonely or feeling left out. I feel very confident in my .50 cal for sure.

Jeff

started with a .45 and liked it no deer ever got away that was hit. It got stolen and I got some .50's all them worked good. Got some .54's and really like the lighter ones and the big holes they make coming out. The .54 is over kill on deer but just right on big tough hogs. Even though I just got a real light .45 I think the .54 will be my favorite because I dont want to follow a blood trail left by a big hog into my swamp. Even shot through the heart/lung area some of them hogs need all the lead poison you can give them.

I like the like weight of the 45 cal with a 13/16 barrel, for hunts with a long walk in and out of the woods or still hunting. Which is more then enough gun for deer. But I prefer the 50 for overall big game use, if sitting for long time. I have killed deer with every caliber from 40-62 cal all kill just as well as the other, and each has plus and minuses to them. I find a 50 or 54 is the best overall balance and a 50 with a 7/8 barrel is a pretty good compromise to the lighter 45

Hogs would be a very good reason to use a .54 (or larger) in my book!

I've only shot one and planted him right there it's one of the reasons I consider what it is I'm loading and carrying as a back up as I figure one day I'll have to find it. I want something that will without a doubt create the largest wound channel and go nose to tail on a big one.

I went with a .54 (swamped) for my flintlock after years of .54 and .50 percussion hunting. I can't say the .50 ever let me down but the .54 gives me just a margin more confidence . . . and almost 30% more mass in the ball when it gets there.

Probably a .58 would be great as well.

I'd possibly move to a .58 if Lyman's frame allowed it. As is I figure a .54 is about in the middle of the larger game calibers.

I like efficiency, but being American who doesn't like bigger? So it becomes a compromise with many things such as lead, trajectory, range, powder, etc. But I guess that's what drew me to the .50 in the first place...

rodwha said:
I'd possibly move to a .58 if Lyman's frame allowed it.

Keep your eye on the used guns lists. Once upon a time Investarms (i.e., Lyman) turned out 58 cals with 15/16" barrels, basically a Lyman with a patch box. They're most commonly encountered under the Cabelas label and reasonably priced.

I picked one up a few years back, and it's become my favorite carry gun. Lighter than a 54 GPR for very easy carry and a little less muzzleweight. Fine accuracy from a bench, with the barrel not too light for accurate offhand work.

Since no one is willing to drill 58 cal holes in 15/16" barrels any more, this one is your best option. And a good one it is.

Huh....Just occurred to me to see if the barrel would drop into a GPR stock. Kinda doubt it, but you never know....

"Since no one is willing to drill 58 cal holes in 15/16" barrels any more, this one is your best option."

I'm actually surprised that a factory barrel in .58 could be had. It makes one wonder why they quit.

BrownBear said:
drop into
Disappointing how the mass produced MLs and GM drop-in barrels industry have basically faded away. My first .58cal was an excellent 1"x32" GM drop-in for the T/C Hawken, shown here with it's first deer.

Roundball said:
Disappointing how the mass produced MLs and GM drop-in barrels industry have basically faded away.

Yeah. When you inspired me (yeah, it's your fault) to try 58 cal some years back, it was hard enough to track down a 58. None were being mass produced, and GM was already stingy with their drop-ins. Add to that the poor fit between my bod and the TC Hawken stock, and I was in a real pickle. Took lots of searching to relieve the 58 caliber itch, and I ended up with 5 of the blooming things in various forms before I came to my senses. :rotf:

The supply situation has only gotten worse since then, even as I sense more and more guys perking up and getting interested. Not likely that any new mass-produced 58's will be produced, but it would sure be interesting to survey the builders to see if the spike in interest I see here has translated into additional sales.

Around 1965, or so, I bought a percussion, .50 caliber kit, from an Italian manufacturer, and spent around six months building it. The stock is walnut and was inletted for the barrel and partially inletted for the action. The stock resembled a 2 X 4 more than a stock and needed a lot of wood removed. The brass butt plate, trigger guard and ramrod loops were sand castings. The 28" barrel is 1" across the flats and in the white. A little red oak stain and 30 coats of hand rubbed linseed oil on the stock and cold blue on the barrel and it looks pretty darned good and shoots as good as it looks. This is my favorite rifle and is the one most often used. I also have a .32 and a .54 flint, but the .50 will always be my favorite. Keep yer powder dry.......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I started out with one of those old Cabelas Hawkins in 58 cal. That rifle was great and I got more than a few deer with it. I no longer have that rifle, but I still do most of my hunting with a 58. I now have a flintlock longrifle and a smoothbore in that caliber. My favorite caliber by far. I use 115 gr 2f with a .562 ball and .026 patch has been my best load in the rifle. Only use 90gr 2f with the same patch and ball combo in the smoothbore.

My guns are both .50s. As to why, that's what was available locally when I got started. I can't say I have any complaints, all the deer I've shot have dropped in sight.

My .45 LL has a 13/16" x 36" straight barrel and handles like a dream; light weight and lethal.

The "new", to me, .50 EL has a swamped 38" barrel and weighs no more than the shorter .45. Talking about having your cake and eating it too!

Back