• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Favorite shot sizes, grouse and dove

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the extent that ptarmigan are grouse, too, I can offer this:

It depends on which gun I'm using, with range and pattern density my concerns. In the 20 I'm using 7/8 oz or 1 oz of 6's, while I'm using 1 1/8 oz of the same most of the time in 12 gauge, upping it to 1 1/4 oz if they're flushing wild on windy days. On days when they're holding tight, I drop to 7/8 oz of 7 1/2's in the 20 and 1 oz of 7 1/2's in the 12.

If I had to stick to one shot size it would be the 7 1/2's, since I get plenty of killing power with it along with good pattern density. My shooting is mostly 25 yards or less. I'm betting that your 8's would do fine at that range too, but I'd get a little twitchy about it further out.

The 8's would probably be great for doves, but I'm guessing there. There are some guys on here that hunt doves, and I'd sure listen to them before accepting my guess.

Thanks Brownie. I like 7 1/2 a lot, just not enough to go spend $50 on a bag for a half-size larger. I do have a bag of no. 6, too.
I haven't hunted doves in years, but just saw that Oregon doubled the length of the season from 1-Sept. to 31 Oct., and increased the daily limit from 10 to 15. Guess I should make some hay ...

Doves get 8's or 71/2's.
Ruffs get 7 1/2's
Blues get 71/2's or 6's.

Haven't hunted grouse successfully, so can't be much help there, but have done a lot of dove hunting. Back when I was using suppository guns, I tended to use 7 1/2s or 8s cause they were usually cheapest, but there were times when I used 6s just cause those were all I had, and they all worked just fine. Now that I make my own birdshot, and the only size I have the drippers o make is #6s, that is what gets used for absolutely everything that gets birdshot, my next smallest option is #4 buck, and I'm not going to try that for dove. My two smoothbore MLs are a .54 single and a 13ga (.710") SxS, both cylinder bore, if that helps.

Have hunted ruffed grouse for 65 yrs and have experimented w/ various shot sizes and finally after a few years settled on #8s. Seeing I shot in 2 trap leagues, the trap load is what I always used.Handloads of 1-1/8 oz #8s ahead of 23 grs Red Dot powder. We mainly hunted over pointing dogs, so even the occasional pheasant was killed w/ this same load. Along w/ the grouse, many woodcock fell to this load. In fact some years of low grouse numbers, woodcock were the "main game"....had to keep the dogs in training.

The chokes used in the various shotguns that were used, were mainly Modified and improved cylinder or skeet 1 and 2. Pattern density was never a problem w/ #8s. The shotguns used were either SxS, OUs or some prefered pumps.......Fred

Another reason for using #8s is that many fowlers have no choke and #8s ensure a decent or better pattern density than w/ larger shot.......Fred

We don't have "huntable quantities" of grouse here BUT we do have many doves & #7 1/2 shot are FINE for taking those birds, as well as all the quail species.

yours, satx

Don't have an ml smoothie, but do load my own suppository ammo and like a light charge with 1 1/8 oz 7.5 or 8 for doves and quail but go to 7/8 oz of 6 for blues. They are big birds so putting just a few 6's in em puts them down without too much damage.

While elk hunting came across blue grouse a few times....always thought that I should've hunted them, but w/ a slingshot. Probably due to the remoteness of the area, they were totally unaware that they should "take off" when being chased......got to w/in 5-6 feet of them. Also encountered ruffed grouse in the same area and they were a lot "spookier". Blue grouse were quite impressive to me partly bercause they were "different" than the ruffed grouse which I hunted for many years, but also because of their size......Fred

They are big and tasty! They can be equally dumb in less remote areas. A slingshot is a good way to go. Have shot them with bows, ml rifles, .22 pistols and shotguns. We treat them as camp meat of opportunity. Our dirty little secret is that we mostly ground sluice them even with the shotgun. Both I and my grandson have taken two with one shot.

Having hunted ruffs extensively when living in the UP, I will say that the blues can't compare as a sporting bird but the blue is, IMO much better table fare.

Back