• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

feral hogs in northern wisc

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you look at the Gestation of a pig you'll see why they become so prolific in area once a few give birth. If I recall gestation is something like 106-133 days with 4-13 in the litter size. Puberty is 2-4 months. Not sure if that means it takes them from birth to reach puberty or this is when they can have another litter.

Anyway I think you can see how they will snowball in size. We had a scare up here in Wa. of someone releasing pigs in the wild. Folks were encourage to go out and get them.

Edit: here is a link I found after the first post.

Wild Hog Breeding Characteristics

You fellas up there better listen to what cayugad says and govern yourselves accordingly. Feral hogs are a definate limiting factor on deer and turkey-especially turkey-and everything else that makes a living in the woods.If you can't make a clean shot/kill,don't worry about it....just gut shoot them and let diseases take care of the problem.And please...don't come back on me with the ethics and humane arguement.Feral hogs and Mid-Eastern Terrorists don't deserve ethical and humane treatment.

I was talking to my good friend, who is a WI DNR WL Biologist the other day over coffee and it appears the DNR is planning to send a group of DNR sharpshooters down to Crawford County on a "pig shoot". The terrain is extremely steep and accessibility is difficult in this part of the "Driftless Area". Likely why the pigs prosper so well as people don't enjoy hunting this type of topography. A quick geography lesson - the "driftless area" is a non-glaciated area along the Mississippi River in NE Iowa, SE & E Minnesota and SW & W WI. Slopes will rise/fall an ave of 500' in 1/4-1/2 mile or less. To say the least, this area can be real user unfriendly if one doesn't use common sense. Abraham Lincoln once stated "common sense isn't so common" and I believe this observation hasn't improved any since then.

Regards, Vic

Don't know if it true but the dnr says in the regulation book that they are not protected. So why would they mention hogs and nothing else if the DNR didn't think they were here.
Were in N. WI are you talking I'm in Wausau?

any hogs in that area. Have an uncle that farms there he might let me hunt them

Latest posts

Back