• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

feral hogs in northern wisc

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadball

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I think i may have heard that there were feral hogs in northen wisc and that the dnr wants people to hunt them. Anybody from northern wisc heard that or is it just rumor. Been thinking of doing it if it was true. Would use the Kentucky rifle with rbs.

Wonder if that could also be an "off season" activity to get out with a ML at other times of the year besides deer season

Most states will work with you if you help rid these pests. Just go and talk to them about it. I have been set up with a special deal or two just by visiting people and getting them to know and trust me. Amazing what the personal touch can do.

CS

watermark.php

Yes there are reports of them. I think a lot of them have been let loose on purpose. People do not seem concerned about the damage pigs can do to a local environment.

This map shows locations of sightings, year when the sighting occurred, etc. Hope it will be of some help for you.

I'm from N wis and live just south of the big area in douglas co. I know of s few guys that have ben hunting them up there. The only prolem is that the area where the pigs are, is mainly private land.

Personally, I hope they take off and spread. I have not released any but would love it if you could hunt pigs up here.

Besides, they released timberwolfs up here and they don't really have much of a use and just destroy wildlife, IMHO.

Hey! I know someone who likes in Manitowac, but unfortunately not where that little red square is. Heck of a long drive, too. :(

I think a feral pig hunt would be a great thing to do in the spring or other non-deer hunting season. Wonder where you get pig eggs so I could plant some on the back hill? :hmm:

The reason the Department of Natural Resources is so concerned about the feral hog gaining a foot hold in Wisconsin is because of the damage they do to the environment.

While it might be enjoyable to hunt hogs in Wisconsin, think of the impact bands of wild feral hogs could have on the eco system of say the Chequamegon Nicolet National Forest.

Hogs compete with deer, elk and many other creatures for forage and living areas. They also damage breeding grounds for certain birds. Wolves might indeed be a pain in the seat, but would pale to the hog.

Not to mention the destruction they do on private property to farm fields, gardens, and grain crops.

Anytime people take it upon themselves to release a species into the local eco system, they often times do not look at the long term effect that animal will have. There are numerous cases of this all over the United States and the world for that matter.

Cayugad is exactly right. Pigs will act like pigs with the prefered mast foods that deer and other game animals need to make it through the winter on and then root at others. They are a serious problem and should not be encouraged. In Louisiana, we went to all kinds of lengths to try to thin out the hogs because their competition with the game animals was so severe.

The Wildlife and Fisheries guys begged me to shoot them even if I did not intend to take them for food.

CS

I agree with Cayugad and CrackStock. Those feral hogs will multiply worse than rabbits and are very destructive critters. Being born and raised down south, I've seen a huge population boom in several states where the population cannot be controlled. It's true they are fun to hunt, but my kin folks back home say they are considered a pest. If they just started in your state you can bet there will be a hefty population in 10 years. The cold weather up north may slow population explosion some, but it will only form a genetic strain that will withstand the temps. Anyhow, the boars are only good to eat up to around 100 lbs. Any larger and the meat stinks when ya cook it and tastes musky. From my experience, they compete too much with the natural resources that is required for indigenous wildlife.

if anyone knows of place chuck thom and i would love to come and kill some we live in wood county

Hey, i grew up in wisconsin rapids. I spent a lot of time up there and lived in Loyal for awhile. Used to go to the YMCA there alot when I lived there.

Hogs compete with deer, elk and many other creatures for forage and living areas. They also damage breeding grounds for certain birds. Wolves might indeed be a pain in the seat, but would pale to the hog.

:bull:
I would gladly trade anyone 1 Idaho Wolf for 1 Feral Hog. I know what the Wolves do to Elk and Deer. I have hunted Feral hogs in California and the deer are still thick and fat where I hunt, despite good populations of hogs.
Idaho PRB

Well.......there are feral pigs and there are also Russian Boars that have escaped game farms "and other places". WI DNR wants all of these pork dinners shot about anytime you can shoot them. All you need is to have a valid small game license ( based on my current understanding which may not be totally accurate at this time ). These criiters appear to be showing up both in Southern and in Northern WI.

For the Russian Boars, I do believe you'd want to use a large bore ( 50 or better ) if possible. I've read that if the boars are not killed outright - you may have to run & climb in short order. Theses boars can get up to 400 lbs and aren't real user friendly when ******.

Regards, Vic

Hey TraderVic,

I sure would like to know more about this. I have e-mailed WIDNR, but have not received any info yet.

Well, here is my email to them as well as their reply. Where are you at WEZ? if anywhere near the Big Muddy, this might be pretty doable for you. I hope to look into it some more.

Subject: RE: Hunting in Wisconsin

Thank you for your email. There is truth to the rumor. The area with the highest concentration is in the Gays Mills area in Crawford County (between Gays Mills and Bell Center along Hwy 131). The Kickapoo River wildlife area (Bell Center Unit) is in the middle of this "core" area. You can look up the property on the following web page:
http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/reclands/index.htm

The Department does not keep a list of landowners or a database with feral pigs on their property. Because feral hogs are nomadic creatures, it is suggested you knock on doors to see if the landowners have seen pigs recently. If you have other questions you can contact Dave Matheys at 608-637-3938 (Wildlife Biologist for Crawford County). Additionally, if you harvest a feral pig, save some blood and diaphragm tissue for the Department's disease surveillance.

For more information on feral pigs, check out the following web page:
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/HUNT/Pig/Pig_Hunting.htm

Tia Kropf-Beringer
Internet Manager
Bureau of Wildlife Management
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
875 S 4th Avenue
Park Falls WI 54552-1130
715-762-1349
[email protected]

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 2:31 PM
To: Wildlife WebMail
Subject: Hunting in Wisconsin

Hello,

I have heard rumors lately that there are huntable populations of feral hogs in Wisconsin. Can you either substantiate or dismiss these rumors?

Thank you.

-Riley

Merry Christmas to you all !

Riley/MN....I see now you're just down the road a piece and across the river in Wabasha. I'll share what I do know about feral hogs in WI to date. This past November during our regular gunn deer season, a hunter shot a family of 7-8 pigs in eastern Eau Claire County ( near the Clark County line ). There were more of the "pig family" that got away.

I reckon the point here is these porkies are pretty much showing up ( infrequently ) in alot of different areas around WI, so where to go or start could be a challenge if you're just looking to hunt the feral pigs.

Regards, Vic

Greetings Gentlemen,

It is with great interest that I read the postings about the spread of wild feral hogs in Wisconsin.

Wild feral hogs have spread state wide in my home state of Texas (and Texas is a big place-no brag intended). Each year the environmental damage is increasing at an alarming rate. This is a dirty little secret kept from the general public because of the hunting big dollars.

Land in Texas is 95% privately owned, and hunting in my home state is a multi-millon dollar busines with the white-tail deer being the biggesr draw.
However, since the wild feral hogs are not considered a game animal, game laws do not apply to them. As a result, they can be hunted year round, 24 - 7, and yet the hog numbers are dramatically increasing each year. As a result, hog hunter for pay is becoming a close rival to deer hunting for pay.

I do not have any objections to ranchers increasing their income for commercialized hunting; Lord knows they need it. But these hogs are the most environmental destructive animal (with the exception of man) I have ever seen. My son is the head golf-pro at a major golf resort inside the city limits of Northwest San Antonio, the damage to the greens by wild hogs has become a major problem.

I have a small place in the middle of the West Texas desert county, three miles from the Rio Grande. Last year, the Game Warden asked me if I had seen any wild hods on my place. He was surprised when the answer was no. In the insuing conversation, he stated that there was not a one mile stretch along the Rio Grande from El Paso to Brownvilles that did not have a wild hog herd. He also told me about the environmental damage told me running into several millions of dollar a year.

I wish all of you gentlemen the best of luck in finding wild feral hogs to hunt. If I should ever start hunting again, it will for wild hogs and strictly with a 50 or 54 caliber round ball muzzle loading rifle. Taking them with my pet scope sighted 270 was not much of a challenge. BUT, with my 50 caliber ML, well now..... that was a different story.

When you start wishing for more hogs to hunt, I would remind all of you of that old adage. "Be careful what you wish for.........".

Best regards and good hunting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

No shortage of hogs around here..almost all the management areas have a no size, no bag limit. No weapon restriction..kill um with a ball peen hammer or whatever..people hunt them night and day, trap them, use catch dogs, trail dogs, run um down with air boats, flatbed trucks in pastures and all this all yr. round.
I've seen people walking through the woods with little pigs hanging from their belts..they shoot them soon as they hit the ground..need to use a fish stringer for the squirrel sized ones.
If there's been a couple seen around there you'll have plenty before long.

Latest posts

Back