• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Feral hogs with ML in Germany

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreglerD

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello from Germany!

Today a hunting college who was hooked from me with ML hunting emailed me that he was able to get a 110 lbs feral hog with his .45 Traditions ranger rifle. He uses 90 grs WANO PP and a 240 grs Maxiball. distance was about 60 meters from a treestand. The hog got a hit in the boilerroom and died in its tracks. It was very curious that there was no exit of the bullet found, not even the bullet was found inside. i'll post a pic as soon as possible.
So we see that a .45 is a killer even for hogs.

ML huntings moves forward in GE and that is great.

Regards

Kirrmeister :hatsoff:

congrats on the hog, that size of one will be good eating. betcha you just ain't found the slug yet- buried in an organ or maybe muscle or bone.
I got one that size with my '58 Remmy. blew top of his skull off.

Hi Tom,

was on vacation for a week in Italy, Lake Garda with my family. Nice weather. We enjoyed it. Now roe does and fawns are open since 1st of sept, so we'll see.

Regards

Kirrmeister,

Looking forward to seeing those pics. I'm curious about the look of hogs hunted in GE. If they are similar in appearance to the ones on the west coast here. GW

That is good news. A friend of my father's was stationed in Germany during the early 1970s and took the course to obtain his Jaegerbrief( sp) . I remember reading that the foresters controlled what you would use for a firearm.

You will have to inform us as how other hunters have been reacting to this.

Now i'm very curious what the other hunters said.
:hmm:
Had a talk with some hunters over the last weeks about muzzleloader hunting in Germany.Only one out of ten like the idea.But Dirk, you know all the doubt against muzzleloading hunting in Germany. :shake: :youcrazy:

Hi Dirk!
Good news!
How was the light, or did he use a scope? I din´t see any hog durind daylight since month.
But last week i got 2 at moonlight.
I´m waiting for my chance!
greetings Det

undertaker said:
Now i'm very curious what the other hunters said.
:hmm:
Had a talk with some hunters over the last weeks about muzzleloader hunting in Germany.Only one out of ten like the idea.But Dirk, you know all the doubt against muzzleloading hunting in Germany. :shake: :youcrazy:

Hi Andreas,

1 of ten is already 10 %. Compared to all hunters in GE that will be a number of 34.000, so fairly enough ML hunters.

Regards

Dirk

Baikal said:
Hi Dirk!
Good news!
How was the light, or did he use a scope? I din´t see any hog durind daylight since month.
But last week i got 2 at moonlight.
I´m waiting for my chance!
greetings Det

Hi Det!

It was in the first morning light and no scope was used as real ML hunters do it. Meanwhile I dismounted the scope from my Deerhunter. Now try to get some does and fawns.

Regards

Dirk

The slug was in the guts, Kirrmeister, and your friend just did not want to feel around in all the gore to find the slug. If they don't fully penetrate, they often lie under the skin between the skin and ribcage. They can slip out during gutting operations. I shot a boar several years ago with a modern rifle, and found the slug had broken the off shoulder blade, turned, and was located about 2 inches from the impact point where the bone broke. The nose of the bullet was bent badly on the side that hit the shoulder blade, but other than that, the bullet was in recognizable shape.

Back