• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ferguson Rifle demonstration at King's Mountain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I do not know if this will work but I am trying to post a link to the Blackpowder 411 web site that shows my Ferguson rifle demonstration At King's Mountain Saturday. I would have got seven shots a minute but my train of thought got derailed when the Cub Scouts started doing the 10, 9, 8 count! This is a good article telling about the Hesse Kassel Jeager reenactor group I belong to.

[youtube]J2CFFkg-_UI[/youtube]

Pretty Good, Griz!
What were you putting in the chamber before pouring powder? I know by the sound and the general pointing to fire that you weren't shooting ball. :thumbsup: :bow: :grin:
volatpluvia

Well the National Parks do not allow live fire, So I made up fancy spit balls to shoot at the National Parks. Wet some tissue paper, swage it in your ball mould, wrap a rubber band around the
end of the handles. After five minutes dump this spit ball on a paper plate. After you get half a plate full ( a typical PM run for me ) Do a quick dip in lower temp melted Gulf Wax. You do not want the wax hot enough to deep fry as the paper will absorb too much wax and the ball will become a somewhat projectile! Also dip the spit balls before they dry out because the wet paper will shrink over a two day period. When you dip the still wet balls you lock in the outside diameter.
Shooting lead balls are much easier because they have weight, the paper balls have to be pushed into the rifle's chamber the lead balls will roll in most of the time. But you can't shoot lead in the parks or in town!

As far as real ball accuracy in my Ferguson...it is there! The fixed sight is dead on at 155 yards the flip up leaf is close to dead on at 300 yards.
Once you learn the hold under for the in between ranges it is very accurate. I have a picture somewhere of a 100 yard rapid fire target I shot with the rifle. I will try to post this picture and the story that goes with it. Let me go find that picture!

I found it! This target was based on a brag from Patrick Ferguson! Early in the Battle of Brandywine Patrick Ferguson and his experamental Rifle Corps were at the edge of a field when they heard horses in the field. They spotted two Coloniel officers setting on their horses 100 yards yards away. Ferguson first ordered three of his best shots to go forward and shoot at these officers. Then he had second thoughts about this and he ordered his men back. He stepped out in the field and ordered the two officers to dismount
and walk toward him. One officer was made remarkable by his Hussar Dress the other was on a Bay horse, he had a blue jacket and was wearing a tall tricorn hat. The officer with the Hussar uniform rode off the field in a hurry. The officer on the bay horse turned and looked at Ferguson and calmly rode off the field. Ferguson said he would not shoot such a brave officer in the back while he was going about his duty in such a calm manner. The Hussar officer was said to be Polaski the officer with the tall tricorn hat was George Washington!
Patrick Ferguson also said he could have lodged five or six balls in the gentlemen before he rode off the field.
This set up a range test! 100 yards rapid aimed fire with my Ferguson Rifle. I tried to get this presentation target for two years but with my mental block of shooting "important" paper I never shot a good target. I need this for the book on Ferguson and his rifle Bryan Brown and I are working on. I have no problem hitting breakables or steel. Paper troubles me when there is pressure on! I even tried to camoflage the paper to look like steel all to no avail. A shooting friend of mine spotted me at the range having a hissy fit after such a failed attempt.
He suggested I make the target out of wood!
In this target I shot Ferguson's suggested half a dozen balls at 100 yards offhand.
Patrick Ferguson's statement was not a brag as the rifle could have done the task!

Six shots 100 yards offhand in one minute and twenty seconds.

100_0653.jpg

Yep, you coulda beat the clock on that last shot easy if ya hadn't paused to listen to the countin'. :haha:
I sure wouldn't want to be the guy tryin' to dodge 'em at 100 yards!

Jethro. Imagine the firepower from 40 of these rifles! Ferguson had at least 66 of these rifles
but he never put all of them in the field at the same time. 40 is the most I have been able to find
in the field at one time! It is a good thing the British did not fully support Capt. Ferguson and his experimental military rifle!
:thumbsup:

I only have one question about all this......where can I get my hands on one of these rifles????

I have heard that reenactors use that floral foam stuff to seal the chambers on cap and ball revolvers for firing blank charges. Just wondering if maybe that might not work with your Ferguson too... might save you some work.

craftwelder said:
I only have one question about all this......where can I get my hands on one of these rifles????
There are a few Ferguson reproductions around but be prepared to spend over $3000.00 for one that is in good condition.

Three grand huh?? I'll put it on the bucket list.....after the wife kicks the bucket I can buy it!!!! :rotf:

Narragansett Arms produced over 250 Ferguson rifles in the early 90s. Mine is # 85 I got it used five years ago. So far as I know the vast majority of the other Ferguson owners do not shoot theirs! I had been wanting a Ferguson Rifle since my 6th grade class went on a field trip to King's Mountain! To date I have shot over 2000 rounds out of my rifle, not counting the spitballs! The Rifle Shoppe is the only place where you can get castings for a Ferguson rifle.
You have to be a skilled gunsmith to assemble one of these from castings!

Does the ball go in bare in the ferguson, or is it pre-wrapped in a patch?

Back