• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ferguson rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aloyalistdawg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello Guys
Is there anyone besdies the rifle shoppe that makes a ferguson rifle or rifle kit?
my best regards a loyalist dawg :hatsoff:

A friend of mine has a Ferguson. The back blast from around the breech screw is bad enough that he can't wear a hat with a bill. The blast will take his hat off. Do you have the same problem?

Many Klatch

Did your friend get his from Ernie? Mine is #11 so there aren't many out there. I had a Narragansett for about 20 minutes before I drove to UPS and sent it back.

I have fired the Ferguson that Ernie made, you can feel the gas leakage but it will not blow your hat off. I wass very impressed with the demo and workmanship of this rifle. You will need lots of time and very deep pockets to get Ernie to build you one of the Fergusons but it is probally a good investment.
BPWRL

Is it true that after several shots, it is impossible to operate the breech screw? I've heard that by the 5-6 shot, it is impossible to get a good seal, because the breechscrew is no longer sealing properly, and by the 7th shot it's impossible to operate the screw at all. I'd love to know how many rounds can be fired before gas leakage become an issue as well as how many shots may be fired before the action ceases to perform.

I had the chance to see a loading and firing demonstration of the Ferguson at the Rev. War reenactment in Camden this past November. The reenacter listed several disadvantages of the Ferguson. One was the maintenance. I can't remember the exact figure, but it was something along the lines of 500 gallons of hot water needed to clean all the rifles Ferguson had wanted to arm his rifle company. This would have been a logistical nightmare for an 18th century army. Another was the stock had a tendency to crack where the action screwed through the stock, since so much wood was removed from there. Another was the cost. At the time, a Brown Bess cost the British government 4 pounds to build--Fergusons cost 8 pounds each, and one maker had sued the British government for more money before his rifles were delivered. And another disadvantage was what you mentioned--the action had a tendency to lock up after the second shot. To overcome this, the riflemen had to lube the action with tallow before firing. This apparently reduced fouling. It was said that the evening before the Battle of Brandywine, Ferguson was going through the British camps searching for tallow. Hope this answers your question.

Where did the 4 pounds for the British Bess come from? Everything I have seen indicates that the British government was paying about 22 shillings for a Bess,about the same as the British Board of Ordnance was paying for an Indian gift gun in the 18th century.The 8 pound cost for a Ferguson seems equally high but I haven't seen anything on its cost to the Crown.
Tom Patton

Funny I should see this , as I was looking for a book ( "Firearms in American History by Winthrop Sawyer ) I ran across a copy of the org trials of that rifle and it sounds nothing like any of these, 20 shots out to 200 yards with only 2 that missed and no cleaning ? Doesnt sound like the same rifle at all. Fred :hatsoff:

I can't comment on the price of Bess but according to Bailey, the Board of Ordnance paid William Egg 31 pounds 10 shillings for two Ferguson rifles on 3 Juen 1776, one of which became the Tower Pattern for the rifle. High I admit but only two were ordered and one was to be used as a demonstrator and the other as I said was to be used as the pattern from which all subsequent rifles were to be built.

On 31 December 1776 the Board of Ordnance paid 4 pounds each for 100 Ferguson Rifles from four suppliers, Matthias Barker, Samuel Galton & Son, William Grice & Son, and Benjamin Willets. They each produced 25 rifles. In March of 1777 Grice & Son attempted to get an additional 4 pounds for thier rifles but were unsuccessful. This may be where the 8 pound price came from but the Board only paid 4 pounds.

Latest posts

Back